Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Traps and Trapping Accessories
Ohio Trapper 61
SUPER BLANKET( old river horse)

[*] posted on 2-7-2017 at 02:00 PM
Traps and Trapping Accessories

Got a call from an OSTA Life member that is hanging up his traps and he wants to donate them all to the OSTA. He would like to see them be given to the youth of the sport of trapping. I'm going Monday to pick the stuff up, he says he has a lot of it. My question is, what would be the best way to decide what youths get the stuff. Not real keen on an essay, Any ideas?

Bill Davis
OSTA Executive Director
OSTA Life Member
minker
Super Administrator

Mood: KamiKazi Rock Hauler

[*] posted on 2-7-2017 at 05:15 PM

Split it up among the work shops .

Mark D. Stackhouse , Region C Director. Life Member OSTA , NTA , NRA , Member of the U.P. Trappers Assn., Alaska Trappers Assoc., Fur Takers Of America. \" Far better it is to dare mighty things , to win glorious triumphs , even though checkered by failure , than to take rank with those poor spirts who neither enjoy much nor suffer much , because they live in the gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat \" - Theodore Roosevelt
Keith Daniels
Super Administrator

Mood: Optimistic about OSTA

[*] posted on 2-7-2017 at 05:22 PM

Definitely not all for one kid, that happened a few years ago, I would have rather seen it get divided. Workshops might be a good way to go, see what all he has first.

Keith Daniels, O S T A President
SNIPERBBB
Super Administrator

Mood: No Mood.

[*] posted on 2-7-2017 at 08:49 PM

I tend to think the workshops would be best depending on what all you get.

Gallia County CNWAT
Mark
MINKAHOLIC ! (snorts mink musk)

Mood: Waxing and making snares

[*] posted on 3-7-2017 at 12:18 AM

Youth convention trap setting contest entrants. I would give it out over several events, maybe a few years, if there is room to keep it.
Will it also go to kids whose dad is already trapping? My kids for instance don't need any they can use mine, or would they want traps of there own?
Also age limit on how old is to old to give them away?
Several questions to answer before giving them away. Also if there is enough should the kids get a little of everything, dps, 110, 1.5, 1.75, stretchers, shovels, knives and lures?

Just things to think about.

Mark

Mark Peters
WCTmagazine
Kit Rat

[*] posted on 11-7-2017 at 12:00 PM

I'd start with first seeing what equipment is available and what condition it is in. I've seen a lot of equipment designated for "kids" that is either not in the best of conditions, older trap models that would just sit on the floor because it isn't what everyone else is using or few know how to set it (I remember trying to figure out how to set some Stop-loss traps Rick Finney wanted donated to kids as I'd never used them before), or it could be more trap than the kid could use/is comfortable with (i.e., #2 Bridgers, 3Ns, 330s, etc.).

Once you know what you've got and have it separated, you can then look at how to donate it. Single spring and 110 body grip traps are great to have for the workshops, but when I helped with them over the years, very few of the kids were capable to setting a #11 or a 1 1/2 coil spring, let alone anything bigger.

I'm just thinking out loud here, but would it be possible for the OSTA to keep some donated traps to be used at the workshops? (This may already be happening, but it's been a while since I've helped at the workshops and honestly don't know.) The FTA has several sets of equipment they keep for first time trappers attending the Trapper's College and this may be a good way to get more participation/exposure as it doesn't require the parents to buy anything just so their kids could attend.

Eric Arnold, Editor
W.C.T. Magazine
O.S.T.A. Life member
Keith Daniels
Super Administrator

Mood: Optimistic about OSTA

[*] posted on 11-7-2017 at 03:05 PM

You are spot on Eric, and I like the idea of maybe keeping them with the workshops, so ones that are above a kids ability to use will still be put to use for kids. I have always made sure to bring traps of my own for them to use, since most show up without any, or traps that are not "ready".

Keith Daniels, O S T A President
catman
Administrator

Mood: No Mood.

[*] posted on 12-7-2017 at 11:51 PM

I've always wanted to have traps just for workshops. I think that is a good idea. I've brought my own for years and so do most of the other instructors and assistants.

OSTA life member, member: NTA, FTA, NRA, NMLRA, OSTA V. P.

Go To Top