Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Fur Market
Mark
MINKAHOLIC ! (snorts mink musk)

Mood: Waxing and making snares

[*] posted on 8-12-2018 at 01:51 PM
Fur Market

Just read Mike Wilthite's fur market report. I. the Trappers Post I knew the imposed tariffs put a percentage on the fur going to China(20%). However I did not realize there was a new 30% tariff the buyers had to pay.
That is (if my math is right) a 50% increase in price from the hammer drop at an auction. So a 10 mink purchased now is adding $2 for original tariff and another $3 for new tariff. (Hold on while I put both socks back on). So that brings us to $15 paid just to get fur out of USA plus any shipping cost or buyer fees from auction.

Mark.

Mark Peters
Keith Daniels
Super Administrator

Mood: Optimistic about OSTA

[*] posted on 8-12-2018 at 02:57 PM

China has already had a tariff for fur coming into the country, it was a sliding scale, depending on what all was going to be done, dressed only, dressed manufactured and wholesaled out of country, dressed manufactured and retail in country.

That's what happened a few years ago when the market got shaky, buyers were smuggling in to avoid tariff, and they also pushed the #3 and low grade price. For everyone of them they bought they could claim a good coon was it for import so they paid a much smaller tariff, they got busted for that too.

The buyers already take it in the shorts from the Canadian auction houses as it is, they pay a buyers few there plus an outrageous per skin "bagging" fee after the sale.

We sure don't need more costs added but it appears we are heading that way. :mad:

Keith Daniels, O S T A President

Go To Top