Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Getting Kids Into Trapping
Brush Creek
Kit Rat

Mood: No Mood

smile.gif posted on 30-7-2019 at 12:54 PM
Getting Kids Into Trapping

With kids into nothing but electronics these days I have found it to be difficult to get my 11 year old to want to do anything outdoors. I took him deer hunting, turkey hunting and yes even squirrel hunting with no sign of enjoyment. That was until he was introduced to the sport of :) trapping!
He was hesitant on joining his old man last season, due to heavy rains, but with a bit of nudging he found himself checking the lines and having fun. On days when traps were clean he was a bit "board" as all kids, and adults, are from time to time when your hard work and long hours don't pay off like you had hoped. But, in the end he had a blast. He has decided to get another apprentice license this year, save up to buy some traps of his own and work on his trapping license for the 2020-2021 season.
As a father of 5 it is awesome to be able to spend quality time with any of your children as they grow up and move away so fast. I have some kids that live with a bow in their hands, some that would rather go to the mall and one who is a few years from being able to be away from mommy for more then 10 min.
So in closing, I just want to say... if you have a child or grand child and are looking to spend some good one on one time with them. Introduce them to trapping. It may be the best investment you ever made. :D
munderf
FLATLANDER(thinks minks are squirrels)

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 30-7-2019 at 05:59 PM

My 6 year old grandson has been going with me for 2 years. We have caught coon, fox and yotes. know he say's he wants to catch a bear:o
Keith Daniels
Super Administrator

Mood: Optimistic about OSTA

[*] posted on 31-7-2019 at 11:54 AM

That's great, you know, it even has that affect on adults! ;) Keep it up, take him to the convention if you can make it, you'll both/all have a good time!

Keith Daniels, O S T A President
Mark
MINKAHOLIC ! (snorts mink musk)

[*] posted on 31-7-2019 at 11:36 PM

Your dang right it works on Adults. Look at Halfton, he still wants to go with me when i tell him there is a beaver that needs removed! Thats with him knowing the dangers of me driving the quad and him hanging off the side.

I took my kids with me several times this year. Man they asked lots of questions! It was fun for all of us.

Mark Peters
half ton
BRIDGE TROLL ( beware all lady joggers !

Mood: wantin to trap.

[*] posted on 1-8-2019 at 10:29 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Mark  
Your dang right it works on Adults. Look at Halfton, he still wants to go with me when i tell him there is a beaver that needs removed! Thats with him knowing the dangers of me driving the quad and him having to hang on for dear life

Fixed it for you buddy.
And he always wants to know why I drink that shot of courage before we take off.

Russ

GUN CONTROL: The theory that people who are willing to ignore laws against rape, torture, kidnapping, theft and murder will somehow obey a law which prevents them from owning a firearm!

U.S. ARMY (76-80) Member OSTA

Keith Daniels
Super Administrator

Mood: Optimistic about OSTA

[*] posted on 2-8-2019 at 11:51 AM

:D:D:D:D:D:D

Keith Daniels, O S T A President
Pasadena
BRIDGE TROLL ( beware all lady joggers !

Mood: W8in4the10th

[*] posted on 10-8-2019 at 12:42 AM

My kids never really got into trapping. I took them both when they were younger but they really had no interest in it. They both took to deer hunting at a young age. Now that they’re 18 and 20 years old, my son is the only one who still likes to go deer/squirrel hunting. He’ll come home from school every chance he gets when his baseball and school schedules allow him to.

Can an Atheist file an insurance claim on an act of God?

JD
Mark
MINKAHOLIC ! (snorts mink musk)

[*] posted on 12-8-2019 at 10:52 PM

My dad took me rabbit hunting, showed my how to trap rats in the stream, never deer hunting, maybe thats why i like trapping and rabbit hunting better. If i buy a deer tag i take the first available so im done.

Mark Peters

Go To Top