Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Research Projects
Keith Daniels
Super Administrator

Mood: Optimistic about OSTA

[*] posted on 3-12-2019 at 02:02 PM
Research Projects

A couple of important things here. You will see below two different requests from researchers at Ohio State. They are pretty self explanatory but feel free to ask any questions about either project. My first contact was with Dr. Pesapane, she was referred to OSTA from ODOW. As you all know different types of ticks are becoming an ever increasing threat to human health, and I think it’s great that this research is being under taken. I’m also honored that, in both cases, the researchers are reaching out to us, and counting on us, to help with this research. I know ticks from fur-bearers can be a sketchy proposition, especially after it gets real cold. We all know that mink tend to be a tick magnet and there should be a good supply available there, and the canines are another top producer of the blood thirsty little guys, so lets all do what we can and help Dr. Pesapane out with this research.

Dr. Marsh was a little hesitant to ask for the skulls since we were already going to be helping with the tick project, but I assured her that we will come through! Last season was the last year of an otter carcass study done by another OSU researcher, and the trappers came through big time for that, I know it can be done again; it’s just too bad the two studies did not run parallel and the otter were double use.

Both Dr.’s have their contact information in their respective text, contact them directly for details or questions about collection or pickup.

Help us decipher the complex life cycle of parasite transmission that likely involve Ohio mink and otter. Dr. Antoinette Marsh, Associate Professor and Director of the Ohio State University Veterinary Medical Center Diagnostic Parasitology Laboratory seeks to evaluate the presence, identification, and distribution of the parasite, Sarcocystis from harvested mink and otter. The head muscles, including the tongue from mink or otter will undergo microscopic analysis to determine the presence of the parasite. This parasite uses multiple hosts to complete its life cycle and will occasionally infect horses (causes neurologic disease) and cats. The laboratory needs just the head (with or without the pelt). The head can be stored within an airtight plastic bag in the refrigerator up to 1 week or frozen (preferred) up to a month prior to analysis. For additional questions or to receive instructions and a pre-paid overnight shipping kit for submitting a lawfully trapped Ohio otter or mink head, please email marsh.2061@osu.edu; 614.292.8335.

Save those ticks! OSU wildlife health researcher Dr. Risa Pesapane is interested in collecting ticks to study the increasing risk of tick-borne disease in Ohio. She’s already partnered with the Ohio Division of Wildlife to acquire ticks from deer this season, but she needs help from OSTA members to recover ticks from other wildlife. All types of ticks are welcome – just place them in plastic bags labeled with the month, wildlife species, and county collected and store in the freezer. At the end of trapping season, please promptly contact Dr. Pesapane at pesapane.1@osu.edu or 614-292-7570 to arrange for pickup or pre-paid shipping label. Feel free to reach out with any questions about the research. We hope you’ll consider participating in this important citizen science project!

Keith Daniels, O S T A President

Go To Top