Author: Subject: Fleshing Problem
Marshman
COONSLAYER(coonfat's a flying)

Mood: Thankful for life

[*] posted on 13-1-2012 at 01:02 AM
Fleshing Problem

I have never traped much for coon. I spend most of my time in
the marshes. I have went after coon now and I am having trouble
fleshing my coon. My fleshing beam will fit a muskrat, do I need a bigger one? I have a english or shefield fleshing knife. When I scrape
my coon I have trouble cutting into the hide. If I lighten up I leave fat on the hide. My fleshing tool is not flexable. Do I need a flexable knife
like the neckter knife? Thanks ahead of time for your help.

Wayne Mott
lifetime Member OSTA.
Retired Pastor.
Now a traveling Evangelist.

Only one life to live twill soon be past, its only what is done for Jesus that will last!
traphunter
#1 GRAY FOX ( sly little devil)

Mood: No Mood.

[*] posted on 13-1-2012 at 03:10 AM

I have the same problem. I either take too much or too little. Need to find the in between. Tired of ruining good hides.
Coondawg
MANGEY COYOTE

Mood: If it flies, it dies!

[*] posted on 13-1-2012 at 03:13 AM

I dont have a clue about the english system. Ive never tried it. I use an 8" beam with a necker 600 for everything but rats and mink. For Rats and mink, I usually just put them on a board and scrape them in my lap.

ack
BRIDGE TROLL ( beware all lady joggers !

Mood: READY TO FLY!!!

[*] posted on 13-1-2012 at 11:35 AM

looks like a trip to visit keith is in order. i am sure he has some coon you could learn on, especially those dog hunted ones!

one tip. the dull side of the knife does not mean its really dull. just not as sharp as the other. make sure the fur is brushed real well and play with the angle that you hold the knife. if you have to start with the knife at a 90 degree angle till you get the feel. an expensive knife will ruin a hide just as quick as a cheap one. my beam was made from a 2x10 yellow pine years ago. much wider then most. not that wider is any better, its just what you learn on and what you get used to.

Your so old you one gust away from a dust storm!
Keith Daniels
Super Administrator

Mood: Optimistic about OSTA

[*] posted on 13-1-2012 at 12:52 PM

You still haven't recovered from that have you ack?:D

Keith Daniels, O S T A President
ack
BRIDGE TROLL ( beware all lady joggers !

Mood: READY TO FLY!!!

[*] posted on 13-1-2012 at 04:23 PM

lets just say i appreciate "trapped" coons........

Your so old you one gust away from a dust storm!
podunk
XL Male Mink

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 13-1-2012 at 08:14 PM

I would call Cory that works for Keith!
Ohio Wolverine

Mood: Thinking?

[*] posted on 14-1-2012 at 01:23 AM

One thing about fleshing any thing, is a fleshing beam that the fleshing knife fits.
A knife that only rests on a small part of the beam will cause more work and damage than a knife that forms to 3/4 or better of the beam.
I can't get used to the idea of pvc pipe beams, maybe I'm missing something. But I've never seen a fleshing knife that is shaped to fit a round pipe/beam.
Muskrat/mink can be fleshed right on a wood stretcher for them. If you use wire stretchers, have at least one wood stretcher for fleshing.
Burrs,mud, fur balls anything that gets between the knife, fur and beam will cause holes/rips.
Brush the fur well and wash if needed.
Practice and chilling/freezing fat to a stiff lard consistency will go along way towards a better fleshing job.

A sharp knife is safer than a dull knife.
Just learn how to use the knife.

Bill
Ohio Wolverine

Mood: Thinking?

[*] posted on 14-1-2012 at 01:28 AM

Quote: Originally posted by ack  
lets just say i appreciate "trapped" coons........

LOL I'm with you 100% on trapped coon vs hunted/dog chewed coon.
Although a trapped coon that's been fighting this time of year can be a pain.

Bill
Marshman

[*] posted on 14-1-2012 at 03:40 AM

I guess I should not have used the word english knife. I have a wood fleshing beam and it is not round and I have a sheffield knife for fleshing and I keep it razor sharp. I do not have the english flessing system.

Wayne Mott
lifetime Member OSTA.
Retired Pastor.

Only one life to live twill soon be past, its only what is done for Jesus that will last!
Kevin Davis
SUPER BLANKET( old river horse)

Mood: ready 2 rumble

[*] posted on 23-1-2012 at 05:34 PM

Let me share what I have learned about fleshing beams this year and the sharpening of Necker fleshing knives.
I made the second only beam I have ever owned in my life this season. The first one I made when I was in high school. It is still a good board but way too tapered off at the end and way too round on the beams surface. I got tired of only taking a half inch to an inch of fat per pass. I shaped my new beam EXACTLY to the bevel of my Necker knife down about 4 feet from the tip. The beam is made of white oak and was a salvged rafter in my block building. All nail holes were filled with epoxy and then completed with 5 coats of polyurethane. Now to the knife. I have never done a thing to it since I bought it probably 20 years ago. This year, I figured with all the other improvements, I would "spruce" it up a bit. Initially, I didn't do anything to the dull edge but the sharp edge got a going over with several different grits on my Diamond Lansky's. The only thing I didn't understand is why both edges were beveled on the sharp side of that Necker. Anyway, I did the best I could and got the edge sharp enough that I could shave my arm hair with it. Time to put it to the test. I was scraping coon for a dog hunter this year and had a group of about 20 to get done first. Talk about a nightmare. I've never been so embarrassed to send out a group of hides in my life. The beam wasn't performing at all to my expectations. It would only scrape the edges and skip entirely over the top. Try as hard as I could or push as hard as I could, I couldn't get anything out of the middle of that hide. Now the sharp edge worked just fine, but believe me, you don't want to scrape anything more than you have to with that razor sharp edge. I was just about to resort back to my old beam. But then the unthinkable came to my head, you're going to have to sand that nice new beam back down. The next 30 came out alot better. I found out that the bevel can't match through the entire width. The edges have to be lower. I also put my Necker in the vice and used a burnishing rod on the rounded edge. This created a burr on the front edge which was honed with different grits of diamond stones to create a very blunt edge but an edge nontheless. After about 200 coon, I think I have it about where I want it. Now all I have to do is find a way to degrease it so I can reapply the polyurethane. I guess the moral of the story is: Just when you think you have it all figured out, you don't know jack!
Marshman

[*] posted on 23-1-2012 at 09:14 PM

Thanks Kevin for your info!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Wayne Mott
lifetime Member OSTA.
Retired Pastor.

Go To Top