Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Ohio Otter NE Ohio UKC web link
Ole Blue
SUPER BLANKET( old river horse)

Mood: No Mood.

[*] posted on 1-2-2012 at 08:12 AM
Ohio Otter NE Ohio UKC web link

This was posted on UKC'S web site.Link below.
http://forums.ukcdogs.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=479...

Life Member OSTA, NRA, Buckmasters.
Member NWTF
hogwild
BRIDGE TROLL ( beware all lady joggers !

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 1-2-2012 at 04:59 PM

Something seems fishy about that. Sure looks like 2 holes in front of the hole in the bank where stakes might have been. Maybe I am reading too much into it but he also said he sure wished we could use 330"s on land.

Todd
Coondawg
MANGEY COYOTE

Mood: If it flies, it dies!

[*] posted on 1-2-2012 at 05:09 PM

I agree Todd.

Lt44
GRASSHOPPER( greenhorn trapper)

[*] posted on 1-2-2012 at 05:11 PM

Thanks for posting this Robert, I went over there to check it out. My goodness he wishes he could use a 330 on land what a mentallity.........Ron

Pasadena

Mood: W8in4the10th

[*] posted on 1-2-2012 at 06:40 PM

A couple of other members and I were discussing this over on T-Man.

I agree with you Todd, to me the 2 circles in the 2nd pic look to be a pretty good match for the spring eyes of the trap. Look at his foot, the water doesn't look deep enough to totally submerge the trap. I questioned his trap placement and he never responded. Says he was using beaver sticks to stabilize his trap. Just happens to be one where the two circles are in the snow. HMMMM interesting. Then again I could be completey wrong. http://www.trapperman.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/298419...

I went back and looked at some of his other post aswell. Says the creeks are froze up and otters are going around, over and avoiding his camo'd in trail set 220'S. Asked to see a pic of his set, yep you guessed it, NO PIC was ever shown.
http://www.trapperman.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/295509...

Can an Atheist file an insurance claim on an act of God?

JD
ack

Mood: READY TO FLY!!!

[*] posted on 1-2-2012 at 08:01 PM

amazingly it fought hard enough to break the wire but the beaver stick used to stabilize the trap never fell out of the spring eye.

Your so old you one gust away from a dust storm!
Lt44

[*] posted on 1-2-2012 at 09:45 PM

Be a good project for the members up in NE Ohio, who know Mr.Blakeman to contact him and have a discussion......Ron

[Edited on 2-1-2012 by Lt44]

Dustin

[*] posted on 1-2-2012 at 10:33 PM

sure looks off to me as well makes you wonder
Coondawg
MANGEY COYOTE

[*] posted on 1-2-2012 at 11:29 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Lt44  
Be a good project for the members up in NE Ohio, who know Mr.Blakeman to contact him and have a discussion......Ron

[Edited on 2-1-2012 by Lt44]

Or the Game Warden..

Lt44

[*] posted on 2-2-2012 at 12:10 AM

Josh my content in my" discussion" comment wasn't a threatening tone, I have spoken to other trappers that had done some mistakes in their trapping and after talking with them they changed their operation, well anywhere around my line anyway. But it was cordial. If he tells the person to **** *** then yes its time for the game warden.......Ron

Pasadena

[*] posted on 2-2-2012 at 12:59 AM

Don't think you would ever get him to admit an illegal set. Just the same way you won't get me to think it wasn't an illegal set.

This is what I see when I look at that picture. Excuse the crudity of the drawing. :)

JD
Coondawg
MANGEY COYOTE

[*] posted on 2-2-2012 at 01:00 AM

I understand Ron. However, it is my opinion that if someone is smart enough to buy the permits, set traps, and post pictures on the net, they should be smart enough to read the regulations which very clearly cover this issue. I know that there are grey areas that can understandably confuse a newbie, but this isnt one of them. But then again, maybe im just an a**hole.:D

Also, the above statement is assuming that this (as of now) hypothetical scenario is true. Obviously, he is innocent until proven otherwise.

Ohio Wolverine
COONSLAYER(coonfat's a flying)

Mood: Thinking?

[*] posted on 2-2-2012 at 02:47 AM

One other possibility is, that it was under water before the dam was broken .
Or the river went down, I don't know.
If he did something wrong , he knows it , not us for sure.

As coondawg said "innocent until proving otherwise. "

Bill
Lt44

[*] posted on 2-2-2012 at 03:30 AM

Your right Josh one would think. Personally the drawing by JD (dont give up your day job to be a artist lmao)is logical and in my view correct. But I just read wolverines theory and this may be the case,we dont know, lord knows we had a little rain this winter. My ditches here in the NW been out of the banks 4 times this year. But one thing for sure is he stated that he wished 330's were legal on bare land,on a dog site to boot that just baffles me..Anyway hopefully there is a logical reason why it looks like it does.....You all have a good night.....Ron

[Edited on 2-2-2012 by Lt44]

Lt44

[*] posted on 2-2-2012 at 03:58 AM

BY the way what in the heck is a marshjack, now there calling me a rat..lol........Ron , Take that back now a grasshopper (greenhorn trapper) someone has too much time on there hands..lol...Ron:D

hogwild

[*] posted on 2-2-2012 at 04:08 AM

Guys, I saw several things wrong with the post about the otter. Ack, I too, noticed the stick and the broken wire. I didn't know how my reply would be taken so I kept things to a minimum. So, if the water went down enough, why is there snow on the ground? Looks like it dropped a lot for one night. Maybe he is doing 48 or 72 hour checks? And why would you set a 330 in front of a hole knowing it isn't under water all the time? If he knows the area well, he knows what the water level should be at most any given time. I have trapped the same river in many spots for 20 years or better and know when most if not all my bank sets are under water, and those are dp's. I say the picture is worth a 1000 words but until he is busted doing something wrong, he is getting away scott free. That, my friends, is the kind of person or people who will hurt all of us in the long run! I hope someone can show him the right path to follow.

[Edited on 2-2-2012 by hogwild]

Todd
Keith Daniels
Super Administrator

Mood: Optimistic about OSTA

[*] posted on 2-2-2012 at 01:44 PM

I don't think it's our position to be making judgements on a public forum, talk to the trapper directly.

Keith Daniels, O S T A President
Ohio Wolverine
COONSLAYER(coonfat's a flying)

Mood: Thinking?

[*] posted on 2-2-2012 at 02:59 PM

Keith is right with his last statement.

And looking at the otter in the trap, it looks as if it was moving fairly fast when caught. Not what you would expect on dry land.
Again , we don't know , only he does.
He has to live with him self, so either way after this thread (if he sees it) he will know about himself.

As far as the snow, it could of came down over night after the otter was caught and the water receded.
Weather it was a broken dam or maybe head waters of a river.
As stated , he knows the area, and knew it was a legal set for one night. MAYBE?

[Edited on 2-2-2012 by Ohio Wolverine]

Bill
Pasadena

[*] posted on 2-2-2012 at 08:03 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Keith Daniels  
I don't think it's our position to be making judgements on a public forum, talk to the trapper directly.

I don't think we're really making or passing judgement Keith. We're speculating whether or not we all think it's a legal set or not. Whether it was legal or not, it puts the thought in to ones head. " Hey, that guy set a 330 on land."

It appears a few others are feeling to the latter of the two and not just on this forum.

Any of the Admin. or Mods. feel free to delete this whole thread. It has pretty much run it's course and folks have givin their views on it.

JD
Ole Blue
SUPER BLANKET( old river horse)

Mood: No Mood.

[*] posted on 3-2-2012 at 06:36 AM
Well!

When I posted this I though you all would like to see this mans otter. You all read and saw more than I did. The thread definately went south. For P R reasons if you need to delete it I won't complain.

Life Member OSTA, NRA, Buckmasters.
Member NWTF
half ton

Mood: wantin to trap.

[*] posted on 3-2-2012 at 11:41 AM

The first pic shows the catch under ice.
I can't see it getting sandwiched on land, thrashing around ,falling back into a creek belly down facing the bank when sandwiched in a 330.
Just like mink and rats on B.E. sets getting sandwiched and neck caught on dry land trail sets. I'd say the otter was caught coming up from under the thick ice.
Just my .02.

Russ

GUN CONTROL: The theory that people who are willing to ignore laws against rape, torture, kidnapping, theft and murder will somehow obey a law which prevents them from owning a firearm!

U.S. ARMY (76-80) Member OSTA

minker
Super Administrator

Mood: KamiKazi Rock Hauler

[*] posted on 3-2-2012 at 04:12 PM

i've seen the water drop drasticly over night before from a cold front coming in , the change in barometric pressure , i've seen it during the day before to as we set traps at the deer creek workshop and they opened the flood gates on the dam to release recent run off . guy could be trapping in the headwaters of a watershed with a man made dam on it . beaver dam could have gotten pulled out, blown out , .

i'll give him the benefit of the doubt , too many things we don't know or can't see or tell from the photo's .

Mark D. Stackhouse , Region C Director. Life Member OSTA , NTA , NRA , Member of the U.P. Trappers Assn., Alaska Trappers Assoc., Fur Takers Of America. \" Far better it is to dare mighty things , to win glorious triumphs , even though checkered by failure , than to take rank with those poor spirts who neither enjoy much nor suffer much , because they live in the gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat \" - Theodore Roosevelt
coonskinner
QUACKHEAD ! (snorts duck feathers)

Mood: High on castor

[*] posted on 3-2-2012 at 08:07 PM

Yep, I've seen water drop really quick trapping the river and tribs. You have to be careful. 3' is not out of the question.

Funny to me how the snow is melted where he had the support sticks. The dirt around the hole is frozen and dry, not what I'm used to seeing when the water drops. No shine to it.

"Old bank hole". Old to me means dry and out of the water. Why didn't he answer J.D.s' post on t-man? He's posted since.

Dan

Go To Top