Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3  4
Author: Subject: just another day .
minker
Super Administrator

Mood: KamiKazi Rock Hauler

[*] posted on 10-12-2003 at 05:04 AM
just another day .

no , no more alien bug sighting , but i did see and find a few odd things today . at a shallow crossing i've used for years on a creek to get from one side to another , i just happen to look down at the base of a tree root system and see what looks like the outline of a single longspring trap , in the set postion, laying on the bottom. i hooked it with my trap hook and pulled it up. cast metal , newhouse or some other early type of trap , rusted and encusted badly still in the set position. i've walked by that spot thousands of times . then i start to wade across and see an odd shape greenish rock , which turns out to be 2 large crawdads apparently in the process of making some little crawdads ! why would crawdads breed in the winter time ? i was gona keep them for mink bait but i tossed them back . i get to the other side and come up on the gravel bar and see a odd piece of tree branch sticking up out of it. turned out to be a ancient femur bone from some big critter . it'll make a good set attractor for a coyote . over on another place, i have a mink set on a very narrow ledge , along one side of a very deep pool below a ripple. its so narrow, you would think only a mink would run it , its narrower than a set #1 coilspring is , which is what i use on it. i check it today , yep i see another fuzzy tail sticking up from the depths of the pool, but its from a coon , and a whopper of a coon at that, 20 plus pounds. if it could walk that ledge, it should have been in a circus walking tightropes . just another day .
nickb
BRIDGE TROLL ( beware all lady joggers !

Mood: kinda marshy

[*] posted on 10-12-2003 at 11:30 AM

Mark, one of two things! Either it's time for a prescription lens change or you need to take the wife along more often?

Yes it is amazing what we don't see out there, like they say, you can't see the forrest for the trees!

traphunter
#1 GRAY FOX ( sly little devil)

Mood: No Mood.

thumbup.gif posted on 10-12-2003 at 11:26 PM

Sounds like a good day.

I really need to start trapping again. I have only trapped for about a week so far. Im way behind this year.

717 Yards

Mood: Just Skippy

[*] posted on 11-12-2003 at 01:58 AM

I think Marks old rice burner has a hole in the exaust pipe somewhere and he's been breathing to deep.
All I'v found this year was 1 arrow head and that almost cut me when I was makeing a pocket set. Something thats been in the ground 2, maybe 300 years and still sharp enought to cut you.

Sunday while pulling some traps I watched 2 otters catching fish and just haveing a good old time. They knew I was there and one came as close as 5 foot away. They were young ones about maybe 10 lbs or so. Watched them for at least 20 mintues. They would go under and come up with a fish and just chrunch it up. As much as I don't care for them, they were neet to watch. "Matt"
Lone Wolf
MINKAHOLIC ! (snorts mink musk)

Mood: Ready to skin

[*] posted on 11-12-2003 at 02:24 AM

Ya'know it's funny Mark but the only #1 Northwoods I have I found that very way some years ago up in Wayne county as I was getting ready to make a set and there it was, Several years since it had been set, but never tripped !

They say money talks,well mine must always be sayin goodbye!!!!
minker
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 11-12-2003 at 03:52 AM

nick, WHY would i want to ruin a good day out trapping by taking my wife along ????? i dont deserve that kind of cruel and unusal punishmet. i do need new glasses though . i'd tell ya all about last friday's line , but somebody would be calling the fellers with the white coats to come and take me away. i did forget to mention having a pissed off beaver come out of its bank den underwater and about knock me off my feet into the creek when it swam into me. it not only did it once, it did it 3 times. mark
717 Yards

[*] posted on 12-12-2003 at 02:33 AM

1 time ok, 2 times aw crap, 3 times,,, there would of been some lead flying.

So how you going to catch that beaver named JAWS ??? "Matt"
minker
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 12-12-2003 at 05:31 AM

first time i was amused and just laughed at it. then it came out again and i was thinking , this things got a problem with me standing here , 3rd time , it was popping its jaws so i kicked it in the face the last time . i got half a mind to take my jack russell back in there, dig open the den and block the water access hole and drop the jack in there and let him have some fun with the beav. its butt will be the first one to get whacked on the 26th. dead meat . mark
OhioSkinner
MINKAHOLIC ! (snorts mink musk)

Mood: To Darn FAT!

[*] posted on 12-12-2003 at 01:21 PM

Minker,
You need to lay off of using Castor for cologne when your in the water.
minker
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 12-12-2003 at 03:07 PM

i dont use castor , just straight pure qill mink musk . i wonder if you inhale enough of it , if it can make you halucinate ? mark
nickb

[*] posted on 12-12-2003 at 10:11 PM

Mark, you of all people need to ask that question! ROFL:D

717 Yards

[*] posted on 13-12-2003 at 02:48 AM

20 pound coon walking a tightrope and now an attack beaver... What's next???? Little minkies running around dressed in spandex waveing a white flag??? :o:o:o "Matt"
minker
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 14-12-2003 at 05:11 AM

wouldnt do them anygood to wave white flags , i take no prisoners ! its lay down and die ! spandex suits would be nice, keep them from getting muddy and wet . i havent caught any possums yet , so i was curious if maybe too much mink musk could cause halucinations and all i've really caught , were possums ! i do have a question though, where did all these mukyrats come from ? aint been none for 7-8 years and now there committing suicide right and left in my mink sets. mark
nickb

[*] posted on 14-12-2003 at 12:25 PM

Seeing some of that here also Mark, one day I thought it must have rained muskrats!

And, if I payed attention that day in school, I believe the rats come from other rats?:D

717 Yards

[*] posted on 14-12-2003 at 01:02 PM

Nick, Are you trying to say that the stork DOESENT bring them????

With all the floods we had this year I felt that the rats would be down in numbers. WRONG!!!!! I spent some time yesterday digging some spots in some ditches a little deeper so the coni's wouldent freeze in. Catching some nice rats. Its not raining them but 4 or 5 a day adds up. "Matt"
coonskinner
QUACKHEAD ! (snorts duck feathers)

Mood: High on castor

[*] posted on 14-12-2003 at 03:46 PM

Haven't seen any rats at all around here. All the sloughs and ditches are full of water but no rats:(

Dan
717 Yards

[*] posted on 15-12-2003 at 01:49 AM

Dan, All you post about is coon. Are you getting any mink?
Snow and cold here and I havent caught a coon in at least a week. 5 inches on the ground today and rain on tuesday. We've had some real nice weather so far:( "Matt"
minker
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 19-12-2003 at 06:09 AM

there was a day , i thought it snowed muskrats, i have no idea where they came from. there are no rats holes any where around but they showed up in a bunch of blind and pocket sets. . maybe the great blue herons bring them . i had an exhilarating experiance wednesday . last stop , about 5:00 pm, trucks parked at a bridge , which is in a low vally between 2 hills . i start to get in , hear niose up the road way off that sounds like some sort of diesel farm equipment coming slow. i get in, fire it up and look in the mirror, nothing, so i pull out on to the road and this idiot comes flying over the hill behind me , full blast in a semi , hauling grain . he was well over the speed limit, not to mention for the road conditions . still aint sure how he got over fast enough to not flatten me and keep that thing on the road. didnt even slow down . passed me right on top the bridge . i couldnt have gotten out of his way if i had time to . i musta lived right that day . mark
717 Yards

[*] posted on 19-12-2003 at 10:17 AM

If you did'nt leave finger print marks on the steering wheel it wasent close. The reason he did'nt stop was he had to get to the truck stop and empty his pants out also. See you in church. "Matt"
nickb

[*] posted on 19-12-2003 at 12:38 PM

Yeah Mark, the Lord does work in mysterious ways at times!

minker
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 19-12-2003 at 03:06 PM

there aint no truck stops down in that area , he musta been running late to get a load to a grain elevator for christmas money . i hope they were closed when he got there . may need a new steering wheel , fingers went about half way thru it. may need a new front seat as well. i don't think that stain is going to come out of it ! mark
coonskinner
QUACKHEAD ! (snorts duck feathers)

Mood: High on castor

[*] posted on 19-12-2003 at 03:16 PM

Hey Matt, The reason I post mostly about coons is I like to pick on critters that I might be a little smarter than. I've picked up a couple mink in pockets, but don't neccessarily target them. Also picked off a few yotes and fox along the way.

Dan
elkcreekdundy
GRASSHOPPER( greenhorn trapper)

Mood: Turkeyfied

[*] posted on 19-12-2003 at 03:28 PM

Yea, me and coonskinner are mainly coon trappers down here in southwest ohio Matt. These coyotes down here are better educated than we are, they all stay in the cities around here and eat cats,city bunnies, garbage, and such.

jim
717 Yards

[*] posted on 20-12-2003 at 03:02 AM

I'll trade you our otters for your coyotes. I don't know if you have them down there but there a pain trying to trap around them.
We have some smart yotes up here to. I have one I'v been playing with for awhile. She's a sharp one but I'm not ready to go to the 2 traps I have with the small fish hook silver soldered to the pan yet. "Matt"
minker
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 27-12-2003 at 05:29 AM

well the attack beaver and several of his buddys are already histiory, set them up early this morning and went back after them after dark. i'll be making chilli out of one of them today . caught one monster of a coon in a #11d.j. , dang things head was as big as a volleyball ! while i was remaking the set , kept having the feeling something was watching me. usually when i get that , its a mink eye balling me from the shadows . kept looking around , finally saw what it was . biggest, fattest chipmunk i've ever seen ! caught a mink in a bottom edge set colony trap up against a bridge wall in 3 foot of water . lots of big chubs down there for it to be going after . caught a coon in a griz getr'z dog proof trap and a coyote beat me to him, pulled the stake and drug all of it off . its days are numbered !! mark

Mark D. Stackhouse , Region C Director. Life Member OSTA , NTA , NRA , Member of the U.P. Trappers Assn., Alaska Trappers Assoc., Fur Takers Of America. \" Far better it is to dare mighty things , to win glorious triumphs , even though checkered by failure , than to take rank with those poor spirts who neither enjoy much nor suffer much , because they live in the gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat \" - Theodore Roosevelt
 Pages:  1    3  4

Go To Top