Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: penny for your thoughts
Vermillioncoon
clown car pusher

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 28-11-2012 at 09:01 PM

I am currently sitting at 130% of my total coon catch form last year in just two weeks of trapping this season. Did I trap harder? Just a bit, but I have never caught as many coon as I have this year. I had 4 double digit days alone. Here are my thoughts as I have heard of many people's catch being off:

1. The season started in the new moon phase, which was perfect. As we neared the full moon, catch always drops off. Folks who did not trap the first week may have missed the best of the season. Will need to watch temps as the moon begins to wane.

2. I almost exclusively trap along the water (creeks/river). Very little "upland" coon trapping. I do think the coon moved to the water sooner since most of the corn was off early.

3. I had one day out of 65 pocket sets along water, I had 17 rats and 10 coon. That coupled with approximately 10 traps set-off equated to a 42% catch rate and a 57% "action" rate. That is very high for me. An indicator that critters are concentrated along the waterways right now.

4. I caught a lot of smaller coon the first week (which is always typical along water) then the big ones starting showing up on a regular basis.

5. This year I used Jack Mack exclusively for bait, but also squirted fish oil outside all of my pockets. May be a reason for increased catch?

All in all, it does not seem liek the population is off to me, it just may be that they are concentrated in different areas. I have set creeks with little to no coon sign (setting on faith) only to catch 3 coon out of 5 traps the next day. There is one place where I caught 16 coon last year. Only 2 so far this year but have also only trapped there for two days. There is also another trapper in that neighborhood this year. Maybe competition is up?
Marshman
COONSLAYER(coonfat's a flying)

Mood: Thankful for life

[*] posted on 29-11-2012 at 02:31 PM

As EX. Director for the OSTA I get a lot of calls from members, and most I talk to say the same thing, WHERE ARE THE COON?
Yet I know a hand full of guys who are doing better then ever. In two weeks having close to 200 coon. Go figure.

Wayne Mott
lifetime Member OSTA.
Retired Pastor.
Now a traveling Evangelist.

Only one life to live twill soon be past, its only what is done for Jesus that will last!
BigDave
SUPER BLANKET( old river horse)

[*] posted on 29-11-2012 at 04:41 PM

I am by no means a 200 coon guy but here have been my observations. I believe with the warm temps they are travelling more than eating. My take has been 50% in blind trail sets, 40% DP's and 10% pockets. The pockets were my biggest contributer last year. Of the DP's that did score more were very near water than up in the fields. On the trails leading into corn the coon have been wierd. Some nights I have done ok and others blanked. I had 1 night where I got 3 leading into beans and right next to the bean field was a corn field I was blanked in.
With the invention of DP's I think a lot of new guys used to catching with them and if they aren't scoring they don't know how to adapt to blinds or pockets.

Dave Muir
O.S.T.A. District 3 Director
Life Member O.S.T.A.
podunk
XL Male Mink

[*] posted on 29-11-2012 at 11:09 PM

The coon i`m catching are along water that had corn along it. When the crop changes to beans or wheat 95% of the sign stops. The smaller creeks that were dry in the summer have lots of old trails where there was corn. I think some of the movement is because we had corn planted in march and first of april then the rest not till the end of may, so the feed source moved. 100% of the coon i`ve caught so far are in DPs. The last 2 years i haven`t caught a opposum, so far i`ve caught 37 this year in the DPs and all are dinks.

Go To Top