COONSLAYER(coonfat's a flying)

Mood: Thinking?

[*] posted on 6-12-2012 at 11:24 PM
Fly bait

What is your opinion on fly bait?
Should it be banned?
Regulated ?
Or just left as it is ?

I have my opinion, just want to see how far this has spread.

Bill
TrapperRon2
GRASSHOPPER( greenhorn trapper)

Mood: Looking ahead

[*] posted on 7-12-2012 at 03:38 AM

???

Ron Marsh
Why dispose of them when you can get them back easily.
814-677-2564
See me about a new J hook tool. PTA, OSTA, NTA
http://marsh.20megsfree.com
catman
Administrator

Mood: No Mood.

[*] posted on 7-12-2012 at 05:13 AM

I don't think it should be banned but we need some kind of EFFECTIVE regulation on it. The use of it against coon is getting out of hand.
Wildcat
FLATLANDER(thinks minks are squirrels)

[*] posted on 7-12-2012 at 11:41 AM

Misuse of a legal product is not a good reason to ban it,IMO. Or tinker with regulating it, even.
If the Authorities would make an example of someone caught baiting coon, it would put the fear in guys who are doing it. Word travels fast!
There sure is alot of crop damage fom animals, but I'm not convinced it is all coon. If I were the farmer and his yield monitor dropped 50 bushels per acer along the woods or river I'm thinking " I gotta do something about these... groundhogs,deer, coon?" And hopefully he would call his trapper friend to come do some nusance trapping.
Ohio Wolverine

[*] posted on 7-12-2012 at 12:27 PM

Misuse isn't just farmers any more.

Do a search on the web.

Bill
Ohio Andy
Administrator

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 7-12-2012 at 03:55 PM

What is your opinion on fly bait?
Useful for flies.

Should it be banned?

Potentially, or modified so that it is not fatal to fur bearers or small animals.

Regulated ?

It already is, that is like adding more drug laws. Adding laws will not change the fact that the substance is being used contrary to label instruction. Heck, smoking causes cancer, read any cigarette pack... people still smoke two packs a day. People will break ay rule or reg published. I am not usually in favor of new rules because of a few making poor choices. However, this is snow balling to more than a few making poor choices. I feel it is wide spread enough to likely warrant an out right ban.

Google search:
fly bait coon... 704,000 hits.
fly bait cola... 1.1 mill hits
racoon poison... 1.35 mill hits

just left as it is ?
No

Andy
dlhjeff
Large Winter Rat

[*] posted on 7-12-2012 at 04:20 PM

they are baiting the alotments around puplic lake allso.
Skinner
XL Male Mink

[*] posted on 7-12-2012 at 07:48 PM

In September 2011 there was a piece in the Ohio Outdoor News a landowner was busted for poisoning the neighbors dog he was fly baitin . He got a fine , court cost and a short stay in the county jail plus probation . I think fly bait either needs to be changed chemically to not kill animals maybe some bad taste or smell to keep them out of it like bitter guard anti freeze or the best thing just do away with it because some idiots will use it if they can get it.

Attachment: IMAG0393.jpg (133kB)
This file has been downloaded 430 times

Ohio Wolverine

[*] posted on 7-12-2012 at 11:06 PM

No proof , but rumor is deer hunters are starting to use it to keep coon out of their feeders.

Proof by word of mouth , so just hearsay ,used to keep coon from bird feeders and cat food.

It's no longer just a few farmers here and there.
Deer do as much or more damage to corn , along with beaver , than coon do.

Heard of the flocks of birds dying and falling from the sky ?
Another type of poison for birds , that isn't well known yet.

Someone with the DNR (more than one said it) said the more complaints come in the more they have a case for other state departments to get involved.

It really is getting out of hand, and the time of year that it's used makes it hard to find evidence.

Few people are out in the field and woods during the summer.

I know that I stand a chance of loosing places to trap.

But two wrongs don't make a right !
If I don't do something about it , then I'm just as guilty as those that are using fly bait illegally.

I'll still find places to trap, but what good is finding a place to trap when 90% of the coon are dead ?
How many other animals die from eating the carcasses or from residue left around ?
Are fox or coyote, or other animals and birds of prey also killed by it ?

I have been finding the Rubbermaid "TakeAlongs" around barns and other places.
Teeth marks where they have been chewed by coon or opossums.
Think someone was feeding them ?

Some land owners don't even know it's going on.
Their farms are leased to grain farmers that may or may not use fly bait.
Some of the landowners buildings are leased out for storage of hay /straw and equipment also.

Heard from a friend today, that he saw a woman buy two containers of it today.
Flies this time of year?

Wish he could of gotten more information.

Some of you haven't been effected by it yet.
Last year was the first it started to effect me.
This year 70-80 % drop in coon numbers on the whole line.

If you haven't been effected, you will be.

Bill
ack
BRIDGE TROLL ( beware all lady joggers !

Mood: READY TO FLY!!!

[*] posted on 8-12-2012 at 03:42 AM

been around my parts for at least 5 years. i have yet to break a hundred but have worked hard enough that in years past would have put me around 175. if not for obtaining better then 50% new ground and working 3 times harder i would not have caught near what i have.

i really don't want the guys using it to get in trouble at this point. i just want them to stop NOW. if they continue then they need to face the law. what would happen to us as trappers if we used it?

Your so old you one gust away from a dust storm!
Ohio Wolverine

[*] posted on 8-12-2012 at 10:34 AM

Just some posts from a deer hunting forum.

Use bait, with poison. Put out plenty to get them ALL in one night, then, sleep tight.

Put those orange fly bait crystals in a pan. Pour a little coke (cola) on it. They will die with their head in the pan. Keep your dog inside!

Orange fly bait? What is the product name, I might try that for the coyotes out on the ranch.

Does the fly-bait coke thing work on raccoons too? Will deer get near it or ingest it?

A I wouldn't`t advise putting it in around your deer. They may never touch it but a curious one just may end up sick or dead. YES fly bait works great for coon. I use Grape pop. Most of them won`t leave the bowl or will just be a few feet from it. Golden Malarin is what I use and it is blue crystals. It is just as deadly on pets so be careful.

M, I don't have deer per se, but I have several hundred feed stations that are infested with coons. They are hip to live traps with sardines. I can probably rig something in the corner of a pen with a sort of roof that should keep a curious deer away. Man, I hope this works!

Hey the price of coon furs are up a bit this year. Skin them and sell them. Get some $$$$ back for the feed they have eaten.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If they would just eat a little corn or protein and go on their way I have a problem with them, but they have to tear stuff up and that puts them number 1 on my hit parade. I've crossed the center line on the highway to run over one. I hate them.

A if you put out multiple stations of bait you will get multiple coons. The bad thing with coons they spend so much time in the feeders when they eat. After they leave all the diseased poop and pee in the feeders they head for the water. Same thing. I`ve been lucky with coon. I`ve only had one the the past year. They must not like trying to get through the electric fence. Fly bait WORKS !!!

We call it "BLUE DEATH" here. The type that I use is Blue Streak Fly bait crystals. Purchased at Tractor Supply. Cover the bottom of an aluminum pie pan and then pour in a half a can of Cherry Coke. Their head will be laying in the pan. The furthest I have seen a coon make it is about 15 feet.

In the last month we have gotten 17 coon, 4 opossum,1 coyote, and 1 DOG ! The coyote made it the furthest away from the pan (about 30 yards). My uncle is up to 46 coon near his barn, he puts it in with the cows and they do not touch it, BUT I will not try it with my deer, it is outside the pen.

Thank you, everyone for the advice. I'm going to try and trap them since I got a loner trap. If this doesn't work, I'll try the fly bait.

Does any of this give you a bad feeling in the pit of your stomach ?

Still think we should look the other way ?

This poison is being used more and more.
The potential of the coon population being wiped out is very much there !

Anyone can use it, at anytime,anywhere.

Will or /are camp grounds using it ?

If you find or hear about it's use, report it !
You don't have to turn anyone in , and if you do the DNR (those I talked to,) will keep you out of the picture.

They would love to catch someone using it, so they could make an example of the problem.
But unless seen doing it, and a pile of dead coon with blue foam coming out of their mouths. IT'S JUST HEARSAY !

The more complaints the more they will get involved.
So let them know that you are aware of it in your area, you don't need to turn in names , maybe just the general area to keep an eye on.

They need help with this problem , and where are they going to get it from?

Only those that are interested in a healthy coon population.

Never know , maybe a report of a possible trespasser on farm, at the right time ............... could lead to proof of it's use.
Just checking on a trespasser and find something else !

[Edited on 8-12-2012 by Ohio Wolverine]

[Edited on 8-12-2012 by Ohio Wolverine]

Bill
Ohio Wolverine

[*] posted on 8-12-2012 at 11:10 AM

Check out just one search engine .............

http://search.aol.com/aol/search?query=FLY+BAIT+AND+COON&...

Bill
porcupine
GRASSHOPPER( greenhorn trapper)

Mood: Trapper

[*] posted on 8-12-2012 at 01:22 PM

Heck I was in the local TSC and the clerk was telling a customer how to mix it up to kill coon. I called corporate and complained and they directed me to the manager of the store, who was the one explaining this to the customer. I further complained to corporate but to no avail. Apparently this is permitted within their company and OK. Pretty sad day when farm stores are explaining how to illegally poison coon to the customers!

Greg King, Editor The Buckeye Trapper
Keith Daniels
Super Administrator

Mood: Optimistic about OSTA

[*] posted on 8-12-2012 at 09:14 PM

Not really, a couple TSC stores in Indiana got fined for telling people how to use it!

Keith Daniels, O S T A President
Ohio Wolverine

[*] posted on 9-12-2012 at 07:37 PM

Today being Sunday , I guess more people are home.
Well everyone wants to talk to me to find out how I'm doing.

What is really funny about it is that they seldom asked how many coon were caught the first week.
Now they want to know on the first or second check.

The coon are hit and miss and not as many as I hoped is what I say.

TWO flatout say that the fly bait took out 20 or so coon this summer.

Both say they really didn't want to use it BUT.......................

[Edited on 10-12-2012 by Ohio Wolverine]

Bill
Ohio Wolverine

[*] posted on 31-1-2013 at 08:30 PM

Stopped to get a few things from the local store.
While there a "friend "told me he used fly bait to get rid of coons on his porch eating his dogs food.
Said a local beef farmer told him that he uses it , and told him where to get it and what to do.

The anti's should be very proud of them selves , don't you think !

Bill
hogwild

[*] posted on 31-1-2013 at 10:16 PM

Bill,
Not sure how true this might be but I heard from a reliable source that the offenders will get in some hot water if they get caught. My guess is that some major changes might be coming in regards to who can buy it, or an ingredient change.

Todd
catman
Administrator

[*] posted on 1-2-2013 at 04:16 PM

Haven't heard anything either but expect some big changes on fly bait. Problem is they still have to get caught first.
Crawdad
Large Winter Rat

Mood: relaxed

[*] posted on 1-2-2013 at 06:48 PM

i am a deer hunter that uses trail cameras on my hunting properties & i also use corn. i get as many coon pics as i do deer pics at some locations. however,i am also a trapper,so it doesnt bother me to much,-its just aggravating.
we have all seen trail cam pics-whether its magazines,actual pics,internet,..-of 5,6,..,10,15 coon at deer feeders. i think its safe to say, that many *deer camps* look at coons as a nuisance and resort to variuos ways to *thin em out* -legal or not,in season or outta season . why dont they call a nuisance trapper? some maybe do pick up the phone,but its easier & cheaper to shoot em,catch em in cage traps AND shoot em,etc.. than pay a trapper to do what is really a fairly easy job. this is just another weapon in the arsenal.

JJ member osta nra & nwtf
717 Yards

Mood: Just Skippy

[*] posted on 2-2-2013 at 03:56 PM

I can se where someone needs a lot of cheese to go with all the wineing going on.
Take your boots off and put the farmers on. What would you do? Call in a ADC guy? Thats a lot of red ink that will never be recovered. Trappers?? Sure, that's the answere... Damage is allready done but will show them dam coon.

How about instead of a pair of gloves and a box of candy you just get the farmer a few rolls of duct tape for tapeing up his silage bags,,,,,,,,, " every morning "!!!!!!

How about you-all go get your ADC permits then go trap those bad coon starting in mid summer but you can't charge the farmer one penny for your time and equipment?? What do you think those coon cost the farmer every year???????

Well I trap farmer Joe's coon every year. "NEWS FLASH" NO you don't. Oh you set it up and take 10, 15 coon off of that farm then pull out thinking you will leave some seed for next year. The farmer doesen't want ANY seed coon left.
In case you don't know, if theres food, some water and a few denning areas around there WILL be just as many coon the following year.

It's truly a wonder to run the 4 wheeler along the feed edge and look at the corn making ears that is till you turn the corner along the wood line or creek and see most of the first 6 or so rows down with only one or two bites out of each ear. :mad:.. Hell you shoot wood chucks out of bean or hay fields. Yea, I know seasons and laws and all that. The farmer can get a permit to shoot deer out of season. WHY not one for coon????

I owned a working farm for over 20 years and every year I set it up opening day and trapped it till season closed. I mean that you could walk that whole farm and then some and you would not find any coon sign at all. None, nothing.... Guess what, the next season I would still catch 25 to 30 coon off of the farm.

Look up "recreation" in Webster's. Thats what 99 percent of you do when out trapping. The farmer does not know that word. In case you don't know,,, He farms for a living. That's where his money comes from. Not 9 to 5 somewhere else.

\"Skippy\"

The only trouble with being retired is I never get a day off.
BigDave
SUPER BLANKET( old river horse)

[*] posted on 2-2-2013 at 04:14 PM

I trap on 2 different farms where they have had more than crop or silage bag problems. The first a coon decided it was nice and warm to sleep alongside the radiator in a newer 9650 combine this past fall. With 1 turn of the key it wrecked the fan, radiator and belts right in the middle of harvest. The second guy owns a trucking business along with farming. He left his semi plugged in a couple weeks ago due to cold. Again the coon thought it was warmer inside the engine compartment but this time chewed air lines, radiator hoses belts and wires. He called me last Thursday from his shop and had a coon crawl up into another truck at their business. He spent 45 minutes trying to get it out before he called me. Took a grand total of 16 minutes from time he called to get gear, get son dressed, drive the 7 miles and take care of the problem. Was worried when he told me to shoot it in the engine compartment but he said 1 hole is easier to fix than a bunch of holes from the chewing.

Dave Muir
O.S.T.A. District 3 Director
Life Member O.S.T.A.
Wildcat
FLATLANDER(thinks minks are squirrels)

[*] posted on 2-2-2013 at 04:40 PM

This thread started back in December. Does the word BANNED have a different sound to it today? With the gun debate?
AS far as baiting goes, I have only had coon issues around our house twice like we had this past summer. Two of the worst drought years on record. Dry year they seem to look farther for food and water and guess where there is both? My back yard! Same for barns. and when they destroy property, gardens, Mrs' flowers, people get desperate. I talked to a serious coon dog competitor whose theory on lower coon numbers was that the young were not surviving in the dens.
Thanks for the good post 717- good points made.
Tim
minker
Super Administrator

Mood: KamiKazi Rock Hauler

[*] posted on 2-2-2013 at 05:00 PM

I've asked alot of people who told me they were using fly bait , why ?

don't have live traps , live traps too expensive , don't have a gun to shoot whats in the live traps , don't want to put the live traps in my vehicle to take the animal somewhere else to turn loose or shoot, don't want to catch a skunk in the live trap because then i don't know what to do with it , most claim they didn't know it was illegal to poison animals, and i can go on.

they don't know of any or feel there aren't any other control options out there for them to use.

I've yet to talk to a farmer who uses it , there all just people who live in the country , have a big garden patch for themselves and family , a few have a sweet corn patch that they sell some locally .
I can't imagine any grain farmer spending the time to put out enough pans of flybait that it would make a difference . Plus they know its a crime to do it unlike a rural homeowner trying to protect there garden .

Mark D. Stackhouse , Region C Director. Life Member OSTA , NTA , NRA , Member of the U.P. Trappers Assn., Alaska Trappers Assoc., Fur Takers Of America. \" Far better it is to dare mighty things , to win glorious triumphs , even though checkered by failure , than to take rank with those poor spirts who neither enjoy much nor suffer much , because they live in the gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat \" - Theodore Roosevelt
Ohio Wolverine

[*] posted on 2-2-2013 at 06:34 PM

Very good points made here.

I just wonder ,,,, had the anti's, not caused the fur market to collapse ,would there be as big a problem as there is ?

As far as big grain farmers go,. They also use barns on what are no longer working farms to store their equipment and some times hay and grain.
So fly bait is also used there.
Now they are using it along field edges also.

I can understand farmers to a point.

But too many poison coon just to keep them from their bird feeders , out side cat food , and deer feeders.
Ad that to the farmers and you will soon have a coon population like the muskrat population is now.

I've seen and been asked to help trap coon and beaver in corn fields.
It's not easy to trap them during season , because most corn is already harvested.
Once the corn is harvested , the coon and beaver look for food elsewhere.
There's no easy answer , but poison isn't the answer either.

Maybe the price of coon will go up with the lower catch rates !

You 're right though , I'm whining because of the 40 easy coon caught down to 1 coon in one year., on the same farm.

I helped farmed also , and know that the 6-8 outside rows of corn was written off because of deer and coon damage.
But the acre of corn gone because of beaver ,,,,,,,,,,,,, well never had to deal with it. Except to do my best to trap them out.

What gets me though is the fact farmers went about their business same as always before fly bait came along.
Don't you think it's going to cause more problems than not ?

Bill
ack

Mood: READY TO FLY!!!

[*] posted on 2-2-2013 at 09:58 PM

Quote: Originally posted by minker  

I can't imagine any grain farmer spending the time to put out enough pans of flybait that it would make a difference . Plus they know its a crime to do it unlike a rural homeowner trying to protect there garden .

oh i have! they use the one gallon chicken water jugs. one placed in each corner of the field will in time take all the coon out. i have seen this on farm after farm.

Your so old you one gust away from a dust storm!

Go To Top