Ohio State Trapper Forums
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: What am I doing wrong??
traphunter
#1 GRAY FOX ( sly little devil)

Mood: No Mood.

[*] posted on 9-12-2012 at 10:22 PM
What am I doing wrong??

Hello all. After 3 frustrating weekends field testing dog proof traps for the first time, I have to ask, what am I doing wrong?? I have had mutiple traps knocked over and bait stolen, and have yet to catch a thing in them. Some cases could have been a non target animal, but others I am almost certain were coon. Most of the traps that have been messed with have had about half of the bait missing from them. One of them was completely taken out of the ground and laying on its side. I have been using both corn and marshmallows, filling them from underneath the trigger all the way to the brim of the trap. I have also been leaving a few "teasers" on the ground in front of the trap. On top of this, I have been using Shellfish Oil and Night Bandit as a call and trailing scent.

I would just say that I do not like the traps and I would catch more fur using a coilspring, but I have read too many positive reports from those using dog proof traps to discard them that easily. So for those of you who have experienced a lot of success with the dog proof traps, can you please explain to me in detail the steps you take when placing and baiting the dog proof traps. I am using the dukes if that makes any difference.

Thanks

[Edited on 9-12-2012 by traphunter]
ack
BRIDGE TROLL ( beware all lady joggers !

Mood: READY TO FLY!!!

[*] posted on 9-12-2012 at 11:32 PM

i only fill the bait to the trigger. no need for anymore then that. just to be sure smooth out the area around you trap and see what foot prints show up. of course that won't work in sod. try using some cheap dog food. i grind mine up in a blender and add 3 cans of jack mackeral to 2 1/2 gallons of ground dog food. i then blend it in a bucket with a drywall mixer and while mixing i add enough used cooking oil to make the mixture a semi dry paste. it won't freeze. if you are still having problems try testing the trigger pressure. reach inside and pull the trigger with a piece of wire like a coat hanger. once you hook the trigger the trap should fire with the weight of the trap itself. if it does not then you have problems. if that is it, let us know and we can walk ya through adjusting them if needed ( i doubt they need it but anythings possible).

Your so old you one gust away from a dust storm!
catman
Administrator

[*] posted on 10-12-2012 at 12:06 AM

Sometimes the trigger may need cleaned up. I have heard of them being night latched just like a foothold. Also try setting trigger lighter. You don't have to set dog all the way into trigger. You'll know if it is light enough when you start catching those bait stealing mice.(4 this year) Another thing you can try is put a piece of tubing over trigger. I prefer gasline tubing. It is a little fatter and a little softer than regular plastic tubing. Last few days I've had traps played with and not fired. Maybe the coon aren't hungry enough to properly work trap. Like ack says, don't fill trap up and try some kinf of fish if you can. Jack mackeral is just about the best, especially for price. Another thing is "juice" up your bait with something. I like to mix jack mac with Blackie's Fatal Attraction. About 2 tablespoons per can of jack mac. I think the coon just aren't working bait like they usually do. I'm wondering if it was because the weather was so much cooler just before season and coon are still so fat they aren't too hungry?
podunk
XL Male Mink

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 10-12-2012 at 01:19 AM

Always make sure you are setting in solid ground, you may even have to pound a spot with your hammer to stick it in. Set the trap then pour your bait in if you put the bait in first you bind the trigger. i have not had any conflict with trigger pressure, I even set with a full trigger. I like to set it at an angle rather than straight up and down. I use fish flavered cat food from a dollar store. I fill the trap clear up wit the cat food! The only time i use any other bait or scent is if I am not right on coon sign, then i`ll use some fish oil for a trailing scent, just a light squirt trail. I especially like the scent trail if there is a bank trail and some sign down by the water, if you pull them away from the water they`re a lot nicer to handle clean and dry.
coonie
Administrator

Mood: Retired

[*] posted on 10-12-2012 at 02:34 AM

"Most of the traps that have been messed with have had about half of the bait missing..."

The coons are loosing interest in the food source before setting off the trap. Use a lot less bait. A little (very little) outside of trap is fine, but you are putting way too much in the trap. As suggested above, set the triggers to go off with less movement - do not seat the trigger all the way into the notch. Besides Harry's idea of rubber tubing on the trigger, you can cut a piece of kitchen sponge (I use about 1/8) and place it under/behind the trigger. They feel that texture and their curiosity gets the best of them.

Ps. What brand of DP are you using?

Mike Conrad
Ohio Wolverine
COONSLAYER(coonfat's a flying)

Mood: Thinking?

[*] posted on 10-12-2012 at 03:23 AM

Everyone has covered everything as far as I can see.

Might add that a sweet sticky bait(heavy syrup) in the bottom can help get them to work the trap harder.
Biggest point is cut back on the amount of bait, I never go over the trigger anymore.
Level with the trigger is enough.

[Edited on 10-12-2012 by Ohio Wolverine]

Bill
traphunter
#1 GRAY FOX ( sly little devil)

[*] posted on 11-12-2012 at 10:22 PM

Thanks fellers. I will try not filling it near as full, as well as get some of the aquarium tubing for the trigger. Also I just picked up a small bag of fish flavored cat food. I am using the Duke DP's. Did the clothes hanger test and they all fired immediatley so I dont think that was the problem.
minker
Super Administrator

Mood: KamiKazi Rock Hauler

[*] posted on 12-12-2012 at 12:28 AM

i use small dry cat food , about 6 pieces plus 2-3 mini marshmellows , which is usually just enough to get up to the bottom of the trigger or just above the bottom. sounds to me like your using way to much bait. i've used various rubber /plastic things over the trigger , and have found they work just fine without them but worked with them too.

sweet lures, anise, pancake syrup, salmon oil , codliver oil , added attraction of a golf ball on top , aluminum foil over top or a white dixe cup put on top . these last 3 will help keep mice, voles,possums, shrews, skunks and cats out of them . I said HELP , but still 100% .

Mark D. Stackhouse , Region C Director. Life Member OSTA , NTA , NRA , Member of the U.P. Trappers Assn., Alaska Trappers Assoc., Fur Takers Of America. \" Far better it is to dare mighty things , to win glorious triumphs , even though checkered by failure , than to take rank with those poor spirts who neither enjoy much nor suffer much , because they live in the gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat \" - Theodore Roosevelt

Go To Top