Ohio State Trapper Forums
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: I had a bad experience!!!
creekchub
SPIDERMAN ( squirrel shucker)

Mood: Deprived!?!

[*] posted on 1-1-2013 at 12:32 AM
I had a bad experience!!!

well i have been playing this thing over and over in my mind a couple days now.... after consideration i thought i would share my bad experience from Wednesday, luckily it turned out ok for me.
for those of you who have met me and know about my weight loss i believe it contributed to my mishap along with not heeding my better judgment., So off to the local creek to put in some beaver traps, well to make a long story short a fellow is real buoyant when he has chest waders on especially when they were purchased for me at my previous weight of 280 lbs.
so as i am wading the creek i get into some current and the water is about to my sternum, at that point my body is picked up and away i go. i have no control and my boots are filling fast. luckily i was able to get hold of a log and get myself to shore.
thanks if you read this thanks and take this as a reminder to not be complacent and always use caution... if it does not feel right do not do it. one other item i need to get a set of waders that fit me plus a life jacket to wear as well!

be safe out there and don't become a statistic no piece of fur is worth you life!

one other item there will be some cabella's big man waders for sale in the calssifieds

mike

HEY YOU DANG woodchucks, quit chucking my wood!
Marshman
COONSLAYER(coonfat's a flying)

Mood: Thankful for life

[*] posted on 1-1-2013 at 01:48 AM

Thanks for shareing that experiance with us creekchub. I am glad your are ok.
I could tell you some stories of my 56 years of trap lines. It is only by Gods grace that I am still here!

Wayne Mott
lifetime Member OSTA.
Retired Pastor.
Now a traveling Evangelist.

Only one life to live twill soon be past, its only what is done for Jesus that will last!
catman
Administrator

Mood: No Mood.

[*] posted on 1-1-2013 at 02:01 AM

Glad you could tell your story, Creekchub.
creekchub
SPIDERMAN ( squirrel shucker)

Mood: Deprived!?!

[*] posted on 1-1-2013 at 02:42 AM

I had to say something, hopefully it will pay off and help save someone one day!

mike

HEY YOU DANG woodchucks, quit chucking my wood!
Keith Daniels
Super Administrator

Mood: Optimistic about OSTA

[*] posted on 1-1-2013 at 03:08 AM

Glad you came out of it Mike, chest waders can be a dangerous thing.

Keith Daniels, O S T A President
Coon Chaser
GRASSHOPPER( greenhorn trapper)

Mood: Fall YES!!!!

[*] posted on 1-1-2013 at 03:23 AM

Glad the outcome was good for you.Good lesson for the rest of us.Be carefull out there guys.Think before you hit the deep water.

Tight Chains
Chuck
Life Member O.S.T.A.
hogwild
BRIDGE TROLL ( beware all lady joggers !

[*] posted on 1-1-2013 at 03:41 AM

Had to be pretty scary! Glad to hear things turned out ok. I've had a couple moments over the years myself.

Todd
coonie
Administrator

Mood: Retired

[*] posted on 1-1-2013 at 04:37 AM

Glad you are ok and able to warn everyone, thanks for sharing.

I took a dunking in the late 80's trapping beavers on a big river in southern Ohio. River was up due to recent rains. The previous night it got down to 5 degrees. First stop of the day, river dropped about 5 feet. While looking for beaver sign under a bridge I stepped on the bank where the water froze as the river level was dropping. Slid into the water, up over the chest waders, up over my head. Figured I was done for. Feet hit the bridge pier, pushed off will all my might as I figured I would only get one chance. Came up out of the water onto the bank and clawed my way up to where the ground was somewhat level. Spun around so the water could run out of my waders, ran to my buddy's truck, stripped, jumped in the truck. While I am wringing out my clothes and putting them under the heater and onto the dash my buddy comes up from where I was at on the river. He had slipped and fallen too, didn't get dunked, came to find me, found where a 200# muskrat clawed out of the water, and came back to the truck. He set the next two locations while my clothes dried and we trapped the rest of the day until sunset.

Mike Conrad
half ton

Mood: wantin to trap.

[*] posted on 1-1-2013 at 03:16 PM

Glad everything turned out good Mike.

Russ

GUN CONTROL: The theory that people who are willing to ignore laws against rape, torture, kidnapping, theft and murder will somehow obey a law which prevents them from owning a firearm!

U.S. ARMY (76-80) Member OSTA

Hal
#1 GRAY FOX ( sly little devil)

[*] posted on 1-1-2013 at 03:48 PM

It doesn't matter what size you or your waders are. When you get in almost to the top of them you get so bouyant that you lose traction. And when you start bobbing downstream, that is indeed a scary thing. When you live to tell about it, that's a positive outcome. -- Hal
Ric
Jumbo Northern Supreme Coon

[*] posted on 1-1-2013 at 05:35 PM

Got that T Shirt and a couple others I'd really like to be able to forget.

When ever I need to put waders on. There is a high tight belt on the outside of them. Not a cure for bad judgement but it will buy you some time when things go south

Ric McCaslin
Don
QUACKHEAD ! (snorts duck feathers)

Mood: No Mood.

[*] posted on 1-1-2013 at 10:20 PM

Glad you had a positive outcome! I am ever mindful of water levels and where I feel comfortable going in water, i.e. current and depth and even the bottom - mucky or rocky or debris on the bottom. Even though I have chest waders - doesn't mean I need to go to the chest to test them out. I go about waist deep, don't like going deeper than that.
I love trapping, but I value my life even more. I won't venture onto ice - especially at my age. Now when I was a teenager, I was more of a risk taker. Not so much now.
ack

Mood: READY TO FLY!!!

[*] posted on 2-1-2013 at 01:22 AM

been there done that on the maumee during the spring walleye run. every year if you fish up there you will see several guys bobbing along the line of guys fishing. it amazes me how most of them keep right on fishing and don't bother to even give ya a second look as you float by!

ps. neoprene sure does help. those gig ole rubber ones will tip ya upside down in a hurry. got to take a DEEP breath and hold it until all the air escapes then you can "right the ship".

Your so old you one gust away from a dust storm!
hogwild

[*] posted on 2-1-2013 at 03:02 AM

Ack,
If you can't swim, can you still right the ship with one big breath? I always am extra careful around deep water since I can't swim. Any of those guys ever drown?

Todd
ack

Mood: READY TO FLY!!!

[*] posted on 2-1-2013 at 09:05 AM

i have never seen anyone drown up there, but several have came back up with a whole new outlook on life!

i would not head out on the maumee if ya can't swim....

Your so old you one gust away from a dust storm!
Pasadena

Mood: W8in4the10th

[*] posted on 2-1-2013 at 01:35 PM

Scary thing... losing all that weight let you get out there deeper before you started to float Mike.

That's probably why I start to float in 3' of water.(Fat Floats).

Don't feel bad Mike. I beaver trapped with a guy who can't swim this past week. I was getting pretty tired of having to wait for him to blowup his " My Little Pony" water wings every morning. Just so he would't get his perfectly groomed hair wet.

Careful out there you all, it ain't worth losing your life over.

Can an Atheist file an insurance claim on an act of God?

JD
minker
Super Administrator

Mood: KamiKazi Rock Hauler

[*] posted on 2-1-2013 at 04:48 PM

sorry to here about your experiance mike , that would have been scarey .

i wouldn't own or wear a pair of chest waders for over 30 years because of a bad experiance in a pair of them in high school . i wasn't " bobbing " , i was on the bottom .

i got a pair of neoprenes a few years ago , i did listen to others and got a wader belt for the top .

J.D., just get him a fishing float tube to sit in with his waders on , i think they have a pocket that would hold his comb and hair spray , yours too !

Mark D. Stackhouse , Region C Director. Life Member OSTA , NTA , NRA , Member of the U.P. Trappers Assn., Alaska Trappers Assoc., Fur Takers Of America. \" Far better it is to dare mighty things , to win glorious triumphs , even though checkered by failure , than to take rank with those poor spirts who neither enjoy much nor suffer much , because they live in the gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat \" - Theodore Roosevelt
Keith Daniels
Super Administrator

Mood: Optimistic about OSTA

[*] posted on 2-1-2013 at 05:05 PM

I think he can swim like a fish, just pretends he can't so he can talk somebody else into doing the hard stuff!

Keith Daniels, O S T A President
half ton

Mood: wantin to trap.

[*] posted on 2-1-2013 at 09:38 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Pasadena  
Don't feel bad Mike. I beaver trapped with a guy who can't swim this past week. I was getting pretty tired of having to wait for him to blowup his " My Little Pony" water wings every morning. Just so he would't get his perfectly groomed hair wet.

JD
I thought you were kidding about the water wings. But found out real quick the first stop. Should have seen him coming down over the bank. :o

Russ

GUN CONTROL: The theory that people who are willing to ignore laws against rape, torture, kidnapping, theft and murder will somehow obey a law which prevents them from owning a firearm!

U.S. ARMY (76-80) Member OSTA

Go To Top