Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: High Efficiency (HE) Washers
coonie
Administrator

Mood: Retired

[*] posted on 8-7-2013 at 02:02 AM
High Efficiency (HE) Washers

About 6 months ago the old washing machine gave out. Went shopping for one of those new upright HE Washers. Works great with very little water.

Well...... the vegetation along my driveway needs to be cut back every few years, and this year was one of them. Because I am allergic to poison ivy I where blue jeans, t-shirt, long sleeve shirt, heavy sox and work boots. This usually protects me pretty well. Not this year. Had it on top of the feet, both ankles, and both legs below the knees. Bad enough it required several applications of benydryl (sp) spray.

As best as I can figure, that HE washer uses so little water that it gets out the dirt, but not the oil from the poison ivy plant.

I will not use that washer again to prove my theory, I will use our 2nd hand washer that has been in the basement for years for trapping and gardening clothes. It still uses a whole lot of water.

Mike Conrad
Keith Daniels
Super Administrator

Mood: Optimistic about OSTA

[*] posted on 8-7-2013 at 12:02 PM

:D sounds like one of those water saver toilets, doesn't take much water but the results aren't always pleasurable!:D

Keith Daniels, O S T A President
minker
Super Administrator

Mood: KamiKazi Rock Hauler

[*] posted on 11-7-2013 at 12:28 AM

mike , Liberal amounts of 245 T will take care of the ivy, FOREVER. round up brush killer works good i've been told.

they make a real good pre-exposesure ointment that does work , i'll see if i can find it as i can't remember the name . i don't even have to touch poison ivy,oak, or sumac , if the wind blows my direction and i'm close enough i'll get it and then it cortizone shots and pills to kill it.

Mark D. Stackhouse , Region C Director. Life Member OSTA , NTA , NRA , Member of the U.P. Trappers Assn., Alaska Trappers Assoc., Fur Takers Of America. \" Far better it is to dare mighty things , to win glorious triumphs , even though checkered by failure , than to take rank with those poor spirts who neither enjoy much nor suffer much , because they live in the gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat \" - Theodore Roosevelt
coonie
Administrator

[*] posted on 11-7-2013 at 01:06 AM

Does it just kill the ivy, or is it a vegetation killer.

Mike Conrad
minker
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 11-7-2013 at 02:16 AM

245 T if you can find it ( banned now ) kills everything . used to mix 1 oz. to 2 gallons of fuel oil , cut a gurdle around a tree , spray in cut , tree would be wilting and dieing within a few hours. any type of tree . i'd bring you some but i used the last my dad had last summer to clean out the back fence on my mom's place , the 3 adjioning land owners behind her would never keep there part cleaned up so i killed everything on both sides of the fence for several feet on each side .

the round up brush killer , not sure just been told it worked , don't think they cared if it killed everything just as long as the ivy was dead. roundup from my use of it is usually pretty specific on what its for .

Mark D. Stackhouse , Region C Director. Life Member OSTA , NTA , NRA , Member of the U.P. Trappers Assn., Alaska Trappers Assoc., Fur Takers Of America. \" Far better it is to dare mighty things , to win glorious triumphs , even though checkered by failure , than to take rank with those poor spirts who neither enjoy much nor suffer much , because they live in the gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat \" - Theodore Roosevelt
coonie
Administrator

[*] posted on 11-7-2013 at 02:42 AM

Thanks for the info.

Mike Conrad
Rainman
MINKAHOLIC ! (snorts mink musk)

Mood: Welding Fool!

[*] posted on 12-7-2013 at 12:49 PM

Tecnu Extreme works great as a post-exposure soap and also clears up the rash quickly if you don't wash in time.

As for control of poison ivy and other woody plants, an herbicide containing triclopyr and 2,4-D (Crossbow from Dow and Loveland Products) works quite well and you can still buy it (Unlike 245T)! 1.3 to 2 oz per gallon of water in a hand/backpack sprayer works well. It can also be used for cut stump, basal bark, and dormant stem applications.

About forgot...as with most 2,4-D formulations, this will not harm grass unless applied to stressed grass (drought, etc.).

[Edited on 12-7-2013 by Rainman]

Politicians and diapers need changed often and for the same reason.
Guns have two enemies: rust and politicians.

www.ironcrossforge.com
BigDave
SUPER BLANKET( old river horse)

[*] posted on 13-7-2013 at 10:26 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Rainman  
Tecnu Extreme works great as a post-exposure soap and also clears up the rash quickly if you don't wash in time.

As for control of poison ivy and other woody plants, an herbicide containing triclopyr and 2,4-D (Crossbow from Dow and Loveland Products) works quite well and you can still buy it (Unlike 245T)! 1.3 to 2 oz per gallon of water in a hand/backpack sprayer works well. It can also be used for cut stump, basal bark, and dormant stem applications.

About forgot...as with most 2,4-D formulations, this will not harm grass unless applied to stressed grass (drought, etc.).

[Edited on 12-7-2013 by Rainman]

There you have it folks the expert has spoken.
Thanks Ramey never thought of using 2-4-D on poison ivy.

Dave Muir
O.S.T.A. District 3 Director
Life Member O.S.T.A.
minker
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 13-7-2013 at 09:43 PM

thats it , tecnu . it worked .

Rainman
MINKAHOLIC ! (snorts mink musk)

Mood: Welding Fool!

[*] posted on 15-7-2013 at 02:47 PM

Dave, I wouldn't use the term "expert". I ain't an expert at anything!:P

Politicians and diapers need changed often and for the same reason.
Guns have two enemies: rust and politicians.

www.ironcrossforge.com
Keith Daniels
Super Administrator

Mood: Optimistic about OSTA

[*] posted on 15-7-2013 at 06:05 PM

Ex spurt, ex is a has been, a spurt is a drip under pressure, so, a has been that's a drip under pressure.

I don't know about you Ramey, but that description fits me pretty well.:D

Keith Daniels, O S T A President

Go To Top