Ohio State Trapper Forums
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3  4
Author: Subject: Trapping Log (With Pics)
musicman
XL Male Mink

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 20-9-2013 at 02:48 AM
Trapping Log (With Pics)

On other forums I have been a part of, people would create logs or journals detailing their progress of whatever they were doing related to the forum. This should help keep everything in one place.

So far this year I have acquired some new traps and have a few new places to trap. Right now I've got:

24 colony traps

12 Duke #1 coilsprings
25 Duke #1.5 coilsprings
13 Duke #2 coilsprings

35 Duke 110 conibears
13 Duke 220 conibears

24 Duke DPs

60 snares

3 generic cage traps for coon

I am in the middle of trying to figure out how to clean these, dye them, ect. I did not care very much about the state of my traps last year and although I did okay, I could have done much better. Trapping very intermittently with no lure or anything else really, I got 4 woodchucks, 4 opossum, 5 raccoon, and 1 chipmunk (lol).

I want to do things right this time and actually bring in a legit catch.

I first tried boiling the the traps in lye in a steel trash can, but it leaked and ended up falling off the set of uneven cinder blocks I had it on. Then I got a 55 gallon barrel and put it under a single burner propane range. Lol, after 2 hours of not having the barrel's temperature change appreciably, I realized that wasn't going to work. On top of that, the barrel had a grease residue in it that I think made the traps worse off....

I ran some through the dishwasher and that kind of helped, but it didn't get everything off, not even after 2 washes. Then I tried degreaser. Brake degreaser worked the best of all that I used, but I ended up running out. I soaked some in vinegar and some in a strong Dawn solution for a few nights. The vinegar worked the best so far, but there was still a residue of grease!!!!

I went to the car wash and power sprayed them, but it didn't get it all off. I bought a smaller container and made a fire under it and finally got a decent boil going. Made a lye solution... this is the best so far. I am going to try it again on a day when I have more time and hopefully knock it all out.

I'm a pre med student with a lot going on, so this works around my school work. I have a very supportive fiance who lives on one of the farms I trap. It is very nice getting tied up with a woman who understands the proper relationship humans ought to have with nature (among other things).

The land I have to trap is as follows:

A farm under 60 acres with cornfields, creek, barn, and pond.

A farm about 300 acres with a huge barn, multiple fields, creek, and ponds.

A parcel with woods, 2 creeks, about 30 acres.

My wooded backyard, about 1 acre.

My uncle's wooded backyard, about 1 acre.

My aunt's wooded backyard, about 2 acres.

A parcel of under 20 acres that borders several wooded areas.

This spans 4 cities - Wadsworth, Norton, Coventry, and Clinton. I am thinking about going public if I cannot find more private land to trap on. One of the landowners I got permission from today gave me the names of 3 other people to approach. So far the only people who have said no to me seem to be people who have had bad experiences with hunters or trappers. One lady who owns a very large horse farm said a trapper left a bunch of traps on her land and her dog got stuck in it and she couldn't get it out. Another lady on another farm said she's had too many problems with trespassers (I don't know what that had to do with me though). Another problem I ran in to today was that almost no one was home both times I went out!

My ultimate goal this season is to longline as much as possible for a guy in my situation. I plan on working my route as much as required, all day if necessary especially when I get out of school. I have about 500 dollars left to spend so I'm thinking of getting a few more traps. I plan to keep track of everything on a GPS. I have the proper equipment in my garage to handle fur and a compliment of stretchers. If I need more, I will get them when I require them. My goals are ambitious maybe, but I'd like to pull in at least 200 coon this year. I have never purposely trapped any other animal before so whatever muskrat, mink, fox, and coyote I get will be a bonus.

[Edited on 15-11-2013 by musicman]
munderf
FLATLANDER(thinks minks are squirrels)

[*] posted on 20-9-2013 at 11:58 AM

Sound's like your going to be pretty busy musicman, If you want to catch 200 coon you might want to get a couple more DP's.
Putting your fur up right is awful important:) Good Luck!
Dustin

[*] posted on 20-9-2013 at 10:34 PM

I would put your money in your fur handling equipment , if u think that is good then build a skinning machine sure saves the back , then more 1.5 dc or dp's
musicman
XL Male Mink

[*] posted on 20-9-2013 at 11:17 PM

What do you guys mean about fur handling equipment? I have skinning knives, a Necker fleshing knife, a fleshing beam I made that works pretty good, gambrel, a fur comb, and about 60 or 70 stretchers. I do not have a skinning machine, but how necessary is that? I can skin a coon in a couple minutes and am wondering if the cost of a winch and the additional hardware is worth the cost of not purchasing additional traps. Saving a couple minutes skinning would benefit me more while I'm in school and don't have the time I will have at the beginning of December. You guys have a lot more experience than I do though so I'd like to hear your thoughts.

Forgot to add I have also added inline swivels to each coilspring and DP for a total of 3 swivels each. I'm in the midst of getting the pan and dog set how I want them as far as tension goes and ease of setting them off. Filing the dogs down is taking longer than I would have thought!
half ton
BRIDGE TROLL ( beware all lady joggers !

Mood: wantin to trap.

[*] posted on 21-9-2013 at 12:19 AM

Looks like you are pretty well set with everything. Just remember every well laid plan can get screwed up in a minute. So be flexible with your plans and enjoy yourself.

I would get more traps but keep an eye out for the winches going on sale. I bought mine and it stayed in the box for a year and a half until I scrounged up everything I needed to make a skinner. After building it and using it that first year I will not be without one again. As some say it might not be as quick as doing it by hand. But man do I feel better at the end of the night.

Good luck this season. Be flexible when things get crazy and be safe.

Russ

GUN CONTROL: The theory that people who are willing to ignore laws against rape, torture, kidnapping, theft and murder will somehow obey a law which prevents them from owning a firearm!

U.S. ARMY (76-80) Member OSTA

musicman
XL Male Mink

[*] posted on 8-10-2013 at 12:33 AM

So I finally got a break in my school schedule and got all of my traps properly boiled in an extremely strong lye solution the other day. They were already partially rusted and will probably be ready to dye this weekend or next week. It's starting to stress me out a little bit that the season opening is coming closer and my prep work still isn't done, but it is what it is.

And on another note, I got my first med school acceptance last week!
Ohio Wolverine
COONSLAYER(coonfat's a flying)

Mood: Thinking?

[*] posted on 8-10-2013 at 01:31 AM

You're just around the corner from me.
I'm in Lodi .
U2U me if you want, we could get together if you need some advice.

Bill
Keith Daniels
Super Administrator

Mood: Optimistic about OSTA

[*] posted on 8-10-2013 at 11:54 AM

Congrats on the acceptance!

Keith Daniels, O S T A President
musicman
XL Male Mink

[*] posted on 11-11-2013 at 03:56 AM

Since I last posted I got the traps dyed and all set to go.

I have been super busy which is really unfortunate because I wanted to start this season out strong. My classes have been demanding an awful lot of my time.

I am in the middle of working on a research project through the University of Akron examining raccoon morphologies stratified across habitat types... I've been live trapping under the permission of the biology department at the University and have gotten some interesting results... I've also learned a lot from the school of hard knocks about how to handle a live coon!

I got a lot of sets in today but not as many as I wanted. I had planned on going out at midnight and setting my 100 and so traps heavy. Well, lol that didn't happen. My line so far stretches from Norton to the end of Wadsworth, but that's a far cry from what I would like. Since I have been so busy lately and haven't had a lot of time to get more permission, I am trying something new...

I got a Google voice number... it's free and when people call it, it rings to your cell phone... basically a disposable number. I made up fliers for Raccoon trapping I am going to put up around town and at the feed/farm stores that will let me. It will have little tags to tear off with that phone number on it... don't want to give out my name/number for fear of an animal rights person getting a hold of it.

Anyways, I don't know if that will produce anything or not but I figure its worth a shot. I've got about 430 acres occupied right now with maybe 70 traps. Getting up early to check them!
Keith Daniels
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 11-11-2013 at 03:22 PM

You have an extreme amount of energy, makes me tired just reading about it! :D

Are you trying to say you found out raccoons can pretty much turn around inside their own skin and have lots of teeth that hurt? ;)

musicman
XL Male Mink

[*] posted on 11-11-2013 at 06:02 PM

Thanks Keith! Since I'm going to med school next year, I know I won't be able to do this again with this kind of time for a while. I want to make the most of it and develop an outdoors skill I can teach my kids someday.

I got some good results this morning... 3 coon, 2 muskrat, 1 skunk, 1 groundhog, and 2 possum. No fox or coyote, though it's only been one day and I don't have many fox/coyote sets out.

That's the most I've ever caught in one day. Given how many traps I have set, I know that isn't much, but I am happy with it. I'm still not completely sure if I'm right about where I have the trap pan relative to some dirtholes and flat sets and such... but I'm sure in time I'll figure it out!

And yea, lol... I can't believe the way raccoons can move around. I haven't been bit yet, but I've been super close!

I got one skinned before I had to leave this morning and noticed the leather's a little blue... is that much of an issue and if it is, what do you do about it?
Keith Daniels
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 11-11-2013 at 06:19 PM

Yes the blue leather will be an issue, but there's nothing you can do about it, other than waiting a couple more weeks before you start trapping. Your bigger coon should be pretty decent, they prime up sooner than the first year coon. I've only had a few come in the door so far today, biggest is 13-14 lb and it's still a little fuzzy on the rump, it will show a light slate when dry but not bad.

musicman
XL Male Mink

[*] posted on 12-11-2013 at 06:17 AM

Ok... I gotta get faster at skinning these coon... lol I can't be up past 1 AM every morning taking care of fur!

Seriously though, I take for granted there is a learning curve here and I will get faster at it? It took me about 2 hours to do 2 coon.... just skin them, not flesh them too.

That feels like a long time, and I really only made one cutting mistake... better than last year. But I gotta get a lot faster at this.
musicman
XL Male Mink

[*] posted on 12-11-2013 at 12:21 PM
Some pics

This is the biggest coon I have ever caught... doesn't look like it but he was 9.88 kg when I weight him. over 60 cm in length, starting from the tail to the nose. I can't remember how long the tail was but over 20cm.

I was happy with this guy... nothing to start bragging to your buddies about, but still a good catch.

This guy was pretty big too... 7 or 8 kg, I can't remember... I think 8.

This is the possum, pretty small... both possums were on the smaller side, but I am taking a liking to their fur, despite its low value. It has very good leather and I think its a good soft fur. That was my first ever catch on a blind set. Set the coilspring on a trail and really didn't think anything would happen. Shows what I know!

Here is one of the rats. I have never caught these before but I imagine its pretty decent sized. Fit on the stretcher.

That's most of the bounty of the first day!

Time to go out and check them again!

2 things - muskrat populations in this part of the country are really down, I get that... but is it worth me continuing to check my colony traps and run muskrat set? One farm has a pond that has a creek access that flows long distances, especially with rain. I'm sure that brings something from time to time. I have seen one river otter make its way down the creek. What do you think, because I get the feeling those 2 rats I got were the only rats present.

Second All of those coon sets were gang sets, usually 4 or 5 traps. There were no doubles. So... anyone have a reason why? Probably hard to say without seeing my set up. But all the traps are within 10 meters of the others, some are closer. Any thoughts why I am only picked up one in each location and did not get any doubles or more?

In some locations I'm dealing with small lots on less than an acre... near farms and in the country mind you, but its kind of an intermediate between a farm and country/suburban location. The rest of the traps' bait was not touched either. I'm wondering if I am dealing with educated coons in all but the farm areas... if I am, what is a good way to get those?

[Edited on 12-11-2013 by musicman]
Keith Daniels
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 12-11-2013 at 01:30 PM

You need to get a scale that reads pounds and a ruler that reads inches for us rednecks so we don't have to get the conversion calculator out!

It's real tough to tell you anything on your properties without seeing them, but as a rule of thumb on rats in ditches 3 days and pull out, ponds and marshes you can stay a little longer depending on the habitat and ease of access to the rats. Don't worry about only catching a single coon on a gang set, they don't always run the same area every night. This is one of your first lessons, unless you are certain the coon are stacked on top of one another, you're better off setting two different locations, two traps at each, instead of putting four at one spot.

Keith Daniels
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 12-11-2013 at 01:33 PM

Oh yea, an hour is way too long to skin, read this article, it's not like a hands on but should help you tremendously.

http://www.ohiostatetrapper.org/raccoonskinning.pdf

Might as well check this one too.

http://www.ohiostatetrapper.org/raccoonfleshstretch.pdf

musicman
XL Male Mink

[*] posted on 13-11-2013 at 04:01 PM

Got another 3 coon between yesterday and today

First barn catch ever. Is there a way to minimize blood loss after dispatch? This is the barn at my fiance's and I knew it wouldn't be a big deal going in to it, but even after washing the walls down pretty good there are still some dark stains. Any way to deal with this? PM me if open discussion of this isn't okay.

Second biggest coon ever here, about 20lbs (or 8.8kg :) ). This thorny mess (I think is a berry plant, blackberry maybe) is just a few feet away from the creek I pulled the rats from.

This was on the edge of some woods. I thought setting next to the old Christmas tree would help hide the catch from the neighbors at my Aunt's house, but the coon decided to hide in the tree and it was filthy and full of briars and other crap when I pulled it out.

Thanks for the article links Keith and seriously for all of the help you have been!!!! I had read those before but I read them again. Unfortunately its still taking me literally forever to skin/flesh them. I think this may be because when I first decided to go in to medicine I wanted to be a surgeon and have some limited experience performing veterinary surgery. When I learned to make incisions and would practice on pigs feet and other things like that, I always had to be very conscious about precision. Not that precision isn't important in skinning/fleshing, but its a totally different area, and I think I'm thinking about it too much like surgery.

I also let 2 of the pelts freeze over night (I would get killed if they ended up in the freezer!!) and fleshed them cold. Never did that before and it was different and easier in a way.

There was a documentary on Netflix about Raccoons from PBS's Nature series. People on Trapperman said it was a good resource for learning about raccoon travel patterns... and it was pretty good but it didn't tell me what I was looking for.

What signs tell you that the coons are going to be active or running? One book I read said temperature changes... like if there's been a steady temperature and then one day it goes up 10 degrees, the night it goes up the coons will run. The night it goes back down, the coons will run.

Is that accurate? In another post someone said the warming weather this week will make good coon catching weather. Why is that?
Keith Daniels
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 13-11-2013 at 05:06 PM

The first cold and snow of the year will typically slow the coon down, so will cold, clear, bright nights. Since the coon slow down a couple days, then the little warming will make them want to get out and feed. Keep in mind that early in the season they have so much fat they don't really need to feed, that's why they slow down with the cold snap.

Also, cold is relative to the season, this was a cold snap for now, in Late December 20 degrees isn't as cold in comparison so it won't have the same effect. Once breeding season comes in extreme cold and snow is about the only thing that will phase them.

Yes coon flesh much easier cold, it will simply take practice to pickup speed, and no, don't be delicate and keep catching those 8.8 kg coons! ;)

hogwild

[*] posted on 13-11-2013 at 09:43 PM

I cage trap a few coon. Here is how I take care of them. I make sure their head is up by the door then dispatch them, flip the cage over, open the door and dump or grab them and then step on the head. This greatly decreases the amount of blood that gets all over. Mind you, this all happens in a matter of a few seconds. Hopefully this will help you.

Todd
musicman
XL Male Mink

[*] posted on 14-11-2013 at 05:57 PM

Nothing today

I don't want to be too impatient but I feel like I should have gotten something with all I've got set. If it helps, here is a list of set locations (this will be on the long side. If you don't want to read this all, scroll down and I'll make a bolded note where the list ends because I've got a few questions.):

1st farm:

Before the barn, there is an old house and a garage. I have a snare set up in a hole in the garage door coon and woodchuck have been seen living in. I have a blind coilspring set up also. I have caught coon and woodchuck here before. I don't think I have the snare set up right. It's a shame you can't use #220s on land because this would be a killer spot for them.

4 DPs in the barn (1 catch made)

4 dirthole sets behind the barn. One is on a lane with a fence that runs along both sides. A cornfield is on one side, an old unused horse pasture on the other. One is at the beginning of the fence on the side closest to the barn, between the pasture and lane. Another is about 10 feet directly behind the barn at the break in another fence with the horse pasture on one side and an overgrown area of weeds (and entrance to the barn for a coon) on the other. The last is further down fence near an intersection of another fence that runs about 10 feet away from a highway. An old hog area is on the other side.

Along the lane I have a snare set up. It's been clearly moved twice now, so I don't think I have it set up right. This is between the corn field and lane.

4 DPs and 2 blind coilsprings in a field near a fence edge. The field is intersected with a lane that comes through a 5 yard break in the fence line that occupies one border of the field. A freshly harvested cornfield is about 30 yards away. Woods are another border. There are multiple trails in the grass/weeds. Made 2 blind catches on only 1 coilspring.

1 flat set where the lane enters the field. I pounded a big stick in to the ground and put red fox lure/urine on it. Nothing.

In the woods, I've got 3 bucket sets with 155 conibears in bright blue buckets

On the other side of the corn field, there is a creek. I've got 2 DPs under 1 evergreen that I saw coon footprints under and a bunch of naked corn cobs. I caught a skunk here. There is a pocket set with a conibear #220 at the entrance (all #220s are under at least 1 inch of water) about 5 feet to the left of the DP furthest left.

I've got about 4 blind #110's for mink/muskrat. I think I have taken all the muskrat there are at this location though.

Down the creek 20 yards or so there is a blackberry bush I have a DP and blind coilspring. Caught 1 coon in the DP. There were coon footprints under the bush canopy and a clear trail. I made another pocket set with a #220 conibear between the 2 traps.

There's another #220 pocket set in between the blackberry bush and evergreen sets.

I made a coilspring pocketset on the other side of the creek about 10 yards past the blackberry set. There was a clear trail.

I've got prolly 10 colony traps in the creek blocking it completely off. That's where I caught the 2 rats and I don't think there are anymore from what the landowner says and the low population levels in general.

About 15 feet from the creek is a pond. I have 2 improvised DP traps (that I don't really think are dog proof) with a section of 1/2 pine and a hole bored through the center and a 1 1/2 coilspring underneath it. These are baited with herring or some cheap fish that comes in a can from walmart.

I have a 1 1/2 coilspring that has tin foil on the pan in the pond.

2 coilspring pocket sets in the pond.

I got my cage traps back and have 3 cage traps set up, one by a tree line next to the house, 1 by an out building, and 1 at a fence opening between the house, tree line, and outbuilding.

My house:

I have 4 DPs in the woods, 1 by a shed (made a catch), 1 by a tree about 10 feet from the shed and 4 feet from the creek (made a catch), 1 across the creek about 5 feet from the creek and on a trail caught coon last year, and 1 further away in the opposite direction under a blackberry bush, about 15 feet from the creek.

I have 3 cage traps set up, 1 by the shed, 1 by the picnic table, fire pit, and about 10 feet from the shed, and another on a trail I have caught coon before, near a bridge across the creek.

I have 1 cubby set in the creek with a 1 1/2 coilspring.

My Aunt's House:

I have 2 DP's set up, 1 at the woods line near what looked like a trail (it was hard to tell) and some cover for the coon (made 2 catches) and one by a shed (made a catch).

I have another improvised DP trap set up there too, next to a trail at the woods line.

My Uncle's hosue:

I have 2 DP's set up, originally at a break in his chain link fence. However, after I made a catch and the coon damaged his fence, I moved them to a safer, but probably less desirable location in a narrow line of woods about 80 yards by 20 feet. The fence runs along one border of the woods and a vehicle path on the other side. I have made one catch here, which happened to be the biggest one yet. One problem I have at this location is his neighbor... he's been having a feud with one of them, we think fueled by his crazy wife (he was very close with the husband until she started acting crazy). So, even though it is legal to trap/hunt on his property, I'm trying to keep a low profile and am limited as to where I can make sets. He has 3 outbuildings that I think would be better set locations, but I don't want his neighbor to see any catches.

The 2nd farm:

I have 2 DPs and a cage trap in the barn. This is a big whopping barn... lol. The farmer told me it is infested with coon and he was trapping them in his spare time last year and after taking ~40 or so out he didn't feel like he even made a dent in the population... could still hear them carrying on at night. So I thought this would be a really great location but I have not caught anything. Both DPs and the cage trap are on the upper level in a hay loft.

This is my most under utilized area as I have about 200-300 more acres with no traps on them... I just haven't had time to set them. about half of that area is field/pasture for farm animals, the other half is woods.

There are 2 other locations I have permission to trap a guy's house with about 30 acres of woods and a business sitting on about 10 acres with a coon infestation but have not had time to get working sets going. I plan to try and get in a lot more sets at the 2nd farm and these 2 locations this weekend after my exam tomorrow.

END LIST

So that's 58 sets not including the colony traps. This is why I fee like I should be getting something... lol setting almost 60 traps and not catching anything means I'm doing something wrong.

Here are some questions I've got...

1. Am I being too impatient?

2. When you make a catch, should you move the trap out of the catch circle? I am not doing this and am wondering if this is why the DPs aren't working for me. The way I bait them is putting some foul smelling floating fish food in enough to cover the trigger. Then I put a big marshmallow on top, about half way in the tube and halfway out. That makes it a little easier to check them because you can just look for the marshmallow. Sometimes I make a trailing line of salmon oil of put a few drops of shellfish oil near the trap. The thing is, these traps are undisturbed. Except at my house and my aunt and uncle's house (where I think a cat is taking the marshmallows because the floating fish food is still in the trap), these DPs are absolutely undisturbed.

3. I don't think I'm very good at putting snares out. They are supposed to be fast, but they are taking me a long time.. I'm probably thinking about it too much. I'm also struggling with getting the wiring around the snare to make sure its in the right position. Any tips or a resource to go to in order to get better at this?

4. When I make the pocket sets, I'm worrying my bait/lure is getting washed away. I am having a real hard time angling the hole upwards so that there is a dry area to leave the bait/lure. Any tips?

5. Some of the dirthole sets are at low-lying areas and the holes are filled with water. I have a feeling it will be this way more often than not where I have them set. If situations, is a flat set an appropriate substitute? If not, what is a good substitute? I thought of this idea on the way to school but don't know if it's too amateurish to work... could you make a flat set and instead of using a charcoal stick in the ground or something like that, just set the bait on a rock or something, kind of like the rock is a table where the food for the animal will set? Set up guides to make the animal approach from the direction you want and bed the trap appropriately. Is that a crappy idea?

6. I am pretty puzzled about not getting more results in the 1st farm's barn... I did make one catch, but it just seems like there would have to be more than 1 coon in the barn, even though its small. Last year I got a couple opossums and coon with a cage trap right next to the main door just trapping periodically. There are 2 empty horse stalls, a crap load of old hay that's spoiled that has just been sitting there for probably eons, and nothing keeping them out... It's hard to keep coons out of structures people live in, and this barn has unobstructed entrances for the coon and at least 3 decent denning locations... what gives??

7. I may have trap educated coon in my backyard as a result of some of the (amateurish) trapping I have done in the past. I have cage trapped coon and let them go. They're very good at getting the bait out of the cages without firing the trap, and they have done that with DPs before. Even though I have about an acre of woods, I live in a heavily suburbanized area and frequently see coon running in and out of the sewers when I'm driving at night.

8. If coons are traveling in groups and one gets nailed in a DP or other trap, will the coons who did not get trap become trap educated? Will they be afraid of DPs for a while after wards? After some of the papers I've read about coon intelligence/behavior for my research project (which I can post here when I'm done if anyone is interested), I feel like this is a possibility. Even though they are fairly easy to catch, they aren't stupid.

[Edited on 14-11-2013 by musicman]
WWPAlum
FLATLANDER(thinks minks are squirrels)

Mood: Back at it

[*] posted on 14-11-2013 at 10:30 PM

If it makes you feel any better I have not got anything since opening day where I got 2 coon. Well I take that back I got 2 house cats.

Bob Simonovich
Sergeant First Class, United States Army, Field Artillery, Retired
"It is easier to fool a man than convince a man he's been fooled"
ack

Mood: READY TO FLY!!!

[*] posted on 15-11-2013 at 04:13 AM

coon have not been running. try pinning your bait in the back of the pocket. don't overthink coon. when they run they are easy to catch. when they don't run, well ......

Your so old you one gust away from a dust storm!
Keith Daniels
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 15-11-2013 at 01:50 PM

1 Yes
2 No
3 Use a different wiring method if you're struggling with it, don't attach to the stake, put it in the ground as a separate until.
4 Dig the pocket slightly above the water line then dig down the area the trap will sit so it's under water.
5 A rock backing is a good thing, just don't put your bait on top, dig a little hole under the edge of the rock for your bait, put a scat on top if you have one, bed your trap just as you would any land set.
6 Be patient, they are not moving well right now, plus they may be staying out and will move into the barn when the weather gets worse.
7 I doubt you've educated them, if you did there's a lot more that haven't been educated.
8 No, you're giving coon too much credit.

musicman
XL Male Mink

[*] posted on 15-11-2013 at 04:46 PM

Thanks so much Keith! I really appreciate all your help, for real. I have a buddy in Bucyrus and the route to my aunt's farm I plan to trap sometime this winter runs north of Lima. One of the times I am passing through or near the Arlington area, I'd like to buy you lunch.

Nothing at my house this morning. Just finished a pretty nasty exam and am in the library venting with some frustrated biology students!!! After lab I'll report the rest of my results, hopefully with some good pictures!

2013-2014 Season Results and Goals:

Raccoon - 20/200
Muskrat - 2/100
Mink - 0/50
Red Fox - 0/25
Gray Fox - 0/25
Coyote - 0/25
Opossum - 8
Woodchuck - 3
Skunk - 1
Cottontail - 6
Keith Daniels
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 15-11-2013 at 05:01 PM

Something that might be of interest relating to your question #8. Friend of mine had three in DP's this AM with about 10 feet between, so they obviously didn't learn by watching! Plus at another place one managed to pull a stake in a DP, went down the trail to the next DP and was caught in it by the other front foot.;)

Pages:  1    3  4

Go To Top