Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Strechers size
fasttrapper81
clown car pusher

Mood: Trapped

[*] posted on 10-2-2014 at 01:03 AM
Strechers size

I just sold my fur at the auction the buyers had made a comment on my fur being wide I use old #5s for large coon and 4s for the med to small coon I did notice that most the lots that got top dollar were all very narrow and looking at nafa sizing of coon board for our section of the country none of my strechers match what they want
That being said if I put all my coon on #4s or made boards to match their specs I would have got more length out of my big coon and more money maybe

What do you all put your coon on and do you use the same size strecher for all of them

mildewing to keep from molding.
Ohio Trapper 61
SUPER BLANKET( old river horse)

[*] posted on 10-2-2014 at 01:17 AM

I use 8"wide boards for all my coon
ack
BRIDGE TROLL ( beware all lady joggers !

Mood: READY TO FLY!!!

[*] posted on 10-2-2014 at 01:26 AM

most of the coon caught in ohio will grade as easterns at the big auctions. fha shows board sizes as 7 1/2.

http://furharvesters.com/pdf/boardzises-dim.pdf

Your so old you one gust away from a dust storm!
fasttrapper81
clown car pusher

Mood: Trapped

[*] posted on 10-2-2014 at 01:45 AM

Most my strechers even the #4s are eight inch at the bottom but the tapper don't match the board size at either auction house I think I will try to change over to wood for the next year and just put them all on the same size strecher the product will be more uniform and I will get more length out of my larger coon

mildewing to keep from molding.
ack

Mood: READY TO FLY!!!

[*] posted on 10-2-2014 at 01:47 AM

good choice. i will never put coon on wire again, well unless something freaky happens and i become a fur buyer and find myself putting up 10,000 a year. yeah that's not gonna a happen. wood for me.

Your so old you one gust away from a dust storm!
Keith Daniels
Super Administrator

Mood: Optimistic about OSTA

[*] posted on 10-2-2014 at 02:00 AM

Either size will work but the #4's will be a little easier to work with on smaller coon. For most you'll need to squeeze the nose of the stretcher down a little, then the wire will basically give you the correct width with a nice even taper. Not all stretchers are created equal. Sleepy Creek have good wire and hooks, Peerless have good wire and will give you a good stretch but the hooks are a little light.

The best way to tell you how to do it is, put the coon on and pull it snug with the tail. Now with pressure still on the tail reach up with your free hand and squeeze it in at the shoulders then slide your hand up and stick a finger in each ear and snug the face. Now slide your hand down and squeeze in the middle and pull down hard on the hook, it will come down and hit bottom, you'll know when you're done. You are now at the maximum length the coon will get, no matter whether it's on a wire or a board. Flip it over and hook one tooth in each back leg, toward the outside of the skin, pull down on this hook with one hand while you squeeze in the middle of the stretcher with the other, this will pull the sides down and around so you can clothes pin them, making the base of the tail the shortest point and giving you your length. For this to work you do need to make a high cut when you skin. If the side of your skin bow in you either have the nose squeezed down too much or your stretcher has weak wire.

Keith Daniels, O S T A President
hogwild

[*] posted on 10-2-2014 at 02:23 AM

I use 8in wide boards also. Ric McCaslin on here takes orders in the spring if you would like to order some.

Todd
Marshman
COONSLAYER(coonfat's a flying)

Mood: Thankful for life

[*] posted on 10-2-2014 at 04:28 AM

I use wire at the top and board at the botton 7.6 in. wide. It works good for me.

Wayne Mott
lifetime Member OSTA.
Retired Pastor.
Now a traveling Evangelist.

Only one life to live twill soon be past, its only what is done for Jesus that will last!
half ton

Mood: wantin to trap.

[*] posted on 10-2-2014 at 11:17 AM

Here's where you can see how to modify your wire stretchers with a board at the bottom. Pg. 10
I have modified mine and have used them when needed.
I used them for a couple of years until I could get some boards.
I cut my board 7" wide and used duct tape to wrap around them to hold. With the 1/4" rods on the the sides it ends up 7 1/2" wide.

http://www.nafa.ca/wp-content/uploads/NAFA_PeltHandlingManua...

Russ

[Edited on 2/10/2014 by half ton]

GUN CONTROL: The theory that people who are willing to ignore laws against rape, torture, kidnapping, theft and murder will somehow obey a law which prevents them from owning a firearm!

U.S. ARMY (76-80) Member OSTA

minker
Super Administrator

Mood: KamiKazi Rock Hauler

[*] posted on 10-2-2014 at 02:30 PM

The boards I got from Ric that he made for me at 7 1/4" work the best , before most of my boards were 7 1/2" with a few 8" ones for real pigs . Put on those 7 1/4" boards, there 7 1/2" with the fur and leather . using them did up my end amount of triples which was lower than I thought it should be , 1/4" less in width , trim out the nose cartilidge . little things add up .

I see them for sale advertized as coon boards at 7" , even 6 3/4" and 6 1/2" , buyers are going to pay accordingly for those narrow coon even if there good .

I had Tom Englehopft do a demo at the region C meet a few years ago on changing over your wire stretchers to a wood base , about like halfaton mentioned . Tom said they worked real well for him , I've thought about making some myself out of the pile of #4 and #4 1/2 wire stretchers I have out in the barn .
I don't see any reason to try that with any #5 wire stretchers for coon but it would make them into better fox and small coyote stretchers , might even be able to turn them into decent bobcat or otter stretchers with a little work , tweek them down more.

Mark D. Stackhouse , Region C Director. Life Member OSTA , NTA , NRA , Member of the U.P. Trappers Assn., Alaska Trappers Assoc., Fur Takers Of America. \" Far better it is to dare mighty things , to win glorious triumphs , even though checkered by failure , than to take rank with those poor spirts who neither enjoy much nor suffer much , because they live in the gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat \" - Theodore Roosevelt
TRAPPERBECK
#1 GRAY FOX ( sly little devil)

[*] posted on 10-2-2014 at 03:54 PM

I agree with marsh man & half ton , I followed NAFA things about fur stretching pelts . I put wood on my wire coon stretchers a coons ages ago & still use them but also got some wood boards & I really like how the pelts look after they come off the wood stretchers . Im gonna get some more wood this year for coon . I was always told that I had good looking fur when I put my fur up by the county buyers years ago .Now I get the same compliment from NAFA when I drop off my fur . Its not all bout the numbers but the memories we make , & the pride when you put your pelts up .
catman
Administrator

Mood: No Mood.

[*] posted on 10-2-2014 at 05:12 PM

My boards are 7 1/4. Had a few at 8 but no longer use them. Any board of these two sizes(7.25/7.5) are all you need for MOST Ohio coon. Do what Keith says with wire. Also get the tapemeasurer out and when you put them on wire make sure they are 7.0-7.5 wide just a little above the bottom of your hide. I know a fur buyer helper that is so good he knows just how much to squeeze the wire to get a coon that size. Ric is the man to see about boards. There are others out ther just as good but I reccomend Ric. I've also made a few wood/wire stretchers and they work fine.

OSTA life member, member: NTA, FTA, NRA, NMLRA, OSTA V. P.
minker
Super Administrator

Mood: KamiKazi Rock Hauler

[*] posted on 11-2-2014 at 02:30 AM

I have some wood stretchers from juniata valley trappers supply, leroy renno .

there well made , and he has a big variety of sizes .

he even makes a special possum board !

Mark D. Stackhouse , Region C Director. Life Member OSTA , NTA , NRA , Member of the U.P. Trappers Assn., Alaska Trappers Assoc., Fur Takers Of America. \" Far better it is to dare mighty things , to win glorious triumphs , even though checkered by failure , than to take rank with those poor spirts who neither enjoy much nor suffer much , because they live in the gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat \" - Theodore Roosevelt
Ric

[*] posted on 15-2-2014 at 06:35 PM

I'll weigh in on this . When looking at which coon board you want to purchase there are a couple things to look at.

Very few coon are 48" so the base measurement is not that important. What you want is a board that is close to 7.0" @ 30",+- a bit isn't going to hurt things one way or another. Also look at the neck/shoulder dimensions. To narrow and you have a strange looking pelt. Too wide and you are eating up length. This is hard to quantify but there are shapes that are pleasing to look at (just the way humans are wired) and those that are not. Best to have the person grading your fur happy. Even if it is subconsciously

Using boards of this size a fur buyer I work with put up close to 3K coon this year, very few if any would have benefited from a wider board.

Using boards of this size I have seen NO difference in the sectioning I receive at the auction houses ie. N , NC, C if you want to put it into nafa terms

Ric McCaslin
top lot
MANGEY COYOTE

Mood: otterrific

[*] posted on 15-2-2014 at 09:18 PM

I use a variety of width all made from the same patern,
6 3/4,7, 7 1/4, 71/2
I put all coon I know will make 3x or better on 7 1/2, iffy coons go on 7", smaller coon on 6 3/4". nafa likes my put up, so it works for me.
TRAPPERBECK

[*] posted on 15-2-2014 at 11:08 PM

Hey top lot are you following NAFA 's pattern or do you have your own pattern you make ? Maybe I'll have to start doing that on some of my coons this year . Are they the same measurements up around the shoulders on all the sizes of your different boards that you use ? or did you thin them up also ? Ok just wanted to know .
top lot
MANGEY COYOTE

Mood: otterrific

[*] posted on 16-2-2014 at 10:55 PM

Pattern is a nafa pattern. I just made them a little narrower from top to bottom
Remember when your coon get baled that flatteneds them out and makes them 1/4 to 3/8" wider, so a 7 inch board will measure 7 3/8 wide at nafa.
I sent you a u2
TRAPPERBECK

[*] posted on 17-2-2014 at 03:55 AM

Thanks top lot I got your message & I will use your idea !

Go To Top