Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: trappers education then and now
Gunsanammo
Kit Rat

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 1-10-2020 at 12:39 AM
trappers education then and now

have a question was hoping some one can answer for me.
when did the hunter/trapper education course split to
2 separate courses back in the day I remember hunter education going over both and including trapping .
is there a grandfathered in date ? or do we need to complete the trappers course as well now ? I'm unable to find any info on this. I'm able to get a fur takers permit on line but have also verified my son who just recently took the hunters ed course but has not taken the trappers ed can also purchase a fur takes permit on line ?
coonie
Administrator

Mood: Retired

[*] posted on 1-10-2020 at 03:52 AM

In 1974 hunting and trapping INFORMATION was available at the 5 District Headquarters. In 1975 hunter safety training became available. In 1978 hunters and trappers were told to save that year's license as proof of previously hunting and trapping and that new trappers would have to take the hunter safety and trapper education classes starting in 1979. The separate trapping permit started in 1979. Fur Taker permits started in 1995.

So, if you hunted and trapped prior to 1979 you can either show an old license or attest to your previous license. Don't know how the ODOW has the online license system set up. You can buy apprentice licenses and do not need hunter safety or trappers ed, but you are required to hunt with a mentor.

Mike Conrad

Go To Top