Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Fur prices.
Muskrat Mason
Kit Rat

[*] posted on 26-10-2020 at 11:28 PM
Fur prices.

I know they are VERY low and Iím not expecting anything for some animals but whoops the average price be for our Ohio fur
Coyotes
G fox
R fox
Mink
Coon (Iím assuming $0 on all but large prime)
Possum (Iím assuming $0)
Skunk
Muskrat
Mink
Beaver
Otter
Weasel (I donít think there is enough caught to get a price)
Keith Daniels
Super Administrator

Mood: Optimistic about OSTA

[*] posted on 30-10-2020 at 12:39 PM

There really is no established market right now, but some fur is moving out of FHA at this time, so that is a bright spot. The receivers of the bankrupt NAFA dumped everything they had left recently, and we don't know yet how much longer that will affect a possible recovery.

Eastern coyotes are starting to move, at a reduced price, my best guess would be expect about 1/2 of what they brought last year.

Gray fox may bring more than red fox this year, the big NAFA dump of red fox hurt that market pretty bad, I'd expect $5.00 range for most of the dried reds with the exception of maybe some late season, fully prime skins.

Mink expect $3.00 to $4.00 on good prime males, muskrat also in that $3.00 range. The wild card here is the mass reduction in the ranch mink population currently going on because of covid, that may help the price.

Raccoon you are pretty much right on target. Our section is a utility item, some of the longer nap brighter furs from out west are seeing a little demand. Unless a buyer has a carcass market, you will likely see no value unless skinned, good 2x-3x, and stretched and dried good xl and up. Don't expect any more than labor cost on dried xl's, if even that, I figure labor at $3.00/skin on raccoon.

You might get something out of a dried opossum, skunk will be a novelty market item, it seems like a good broad stripe will always bring in the $5.00 range at our OSTA auction. Weasel also falls into the novelty category here.

Beaver is always a late developing market, but it sounds like big heavy skins are moving now, castor market is expected to stay hot though.

Otter has always been a niche market and for the last several years it has not been very hot.

Go to the auction results on the home page and look at last years, especially the march one at Kidron, my guess is it will be cheaper than that.

Keith Daniels, O S T A President

Go To Top