Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: stretching boards
Kenton
Medium Rat

Mood: always good

[*] posted on 22-10-2014 at 10:45 PM
stretching boards

I have a few questions about stretching boards. I plan on making my own since I have access to quite a bit of lumber.
1) I see that NAFA has standard dimensions but nothing about the curve of the nose, is there a standard radius used?
2) Do the boards need to be tapered towards the nose as far as the thickness is concerned and what is the typical thickness of the boards?
3) Im assuming rough-sawn lumber would need planning and/or sanding, but do they need to have polyurethane put on them?

[Edited on 22-10-2014 by Kenton]

"You have reached the pinnacle of success as soon as you become uninterested in money, compliments, or publicity." - Eddie Rickenbacker, WWI fighter pilot
hogwild
BRIDGE TROLL ( beware all lady joggers !

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 22-10-2014 at 11:17 PM

It should be planed for sure. I go the extra step and hand sanded mine then varnished, then sanded then again then varnished again. I possibly put another coat on depending on how it looks after the second coat. Maybe someone close by has a board made by Ric, a member here, that you could trace and get proper dimensions from. He makes a top notch board.

Todd
Henrietta Hillbilly
COONSLAYER(coonfat's a flying)

Mood: No Mood.

[*] posted on 23-10-2014 at 06:50 AM

Kenton, You can copy my coon boards when you come over. Ric's are good boards. Another question you need to ask is what kind of fleshing beam do I need and fleshing knife. The boards won't do you much good without the others.

Don
Life Member OSTA, Member NTA, Life Member NRA, Member LCBA
Ric

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 23-10-2014 at 02:38 PM

1) I see that NAFA has standard dimensions but nothing about the curve of the nose, is there a standard radius used? NO

2) Do the boards need to be tapered towards the nose as far as the thickness is concerned and what is the typical thickness of the boards? NO, ~ 7/16 to 1/2" works well

3) Im assuming rough-sawn lumber would need planning and/or sanding, but do they need to have polyurethane put on them? NO But I would recommend that you coat them with something to prevent oil and grease from soaking into the wood

[Edited on 23-10-2014 by Ric]

Ric McCaslin

Go To Top